Just picked up a 93 Explorer...suggest some minor mods

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rtzcom, Jan 5, 2007.

1. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

First off I don't wheel, bog, crawl, etc....plus the truck is an auto.

I was thinking about getting it lifted, some bigger wheels and tires, and even a snorkel. But since I use it as a beater, I don't think it will be worth spending that much on this vehicle.

Now what are some minor mods that won't be considered ricey by the off roading folk?

I was considering a light bar with some foglamps, and perhaps a safari rack (with fogs on there too). I want the truck to have some useful features like the extra lighting and storage when I take it to camping trips. Would this look stupid on a stock height explorer?

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

As long as you use it off road, you aren't being ricey

3. imsobored

imsobored New Member

lift,cheap steelies with some mud terrains and stop washing it

4. rtzcom

But the thing is...the truck will see more road than trail. I wouldn't want to end up with something like those huge lifted duallies with chrome rims...that obviously would never see a trail. It's all for show. I don't want that.

I really wanted going all out at first going with a lift, some nice tires on beadlocks, winch, metal bumpers...but I would just end up being a poser. I'm not an off road guy. My fun car is a fully built civic, which finally has a tow vehicle.

So adding small stuff like lights and racks is ok?

5. imsobored

imsobored New Member

who gives a shit what everybody else thinks. i drive a lifted fj cruiser. i know this is the ugliest thing but i love it offroad and enjoy driving it. get whatever you want........ you already have a civic:big grin:

6. rtzcom

i'd rock an FJ, new or old...I love the vintage FJs as a matter of fact.

7. imsobored

imsobored New Member

Id buy one if the price was right. They are sweet rigs

8. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

If I were you, I go with a 3" lift, 31"-32" BFG AT's, a cargo rack with 4 Hella 550's, and some Hell 500's on the bumper... That would look good, and be capable for most mild off roading...

Hell... if you are going mostly for looks just get a 2" body lift... its a lot cheaper, you can do it yourself, and will allow for bigger tires... Defiinately don't go more than 2", especially being an Explpoder...

9. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Mod #1 for the Exploder = brush guard.

Most Explorers spend their time in shopping mall and supermarket parking lots and there's a fuckload of dangerous carts rolling around. Protect yo' grille.

Mod #2 = replacing all the stock parts that have broken/fallen apart due to shit Ford build quality.

The End. Anything else is a waste of money on a 15 year old SUV with the book value of a snow-mobile.

10. jdw

jdw New Member

save money to fix it..

my 94 fell apart after about a year and my buddies 92 fell apart even sooner.

11. Pavester

Pavester New Member

mod1-drive off cliff
    mod2-rejoice

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

If you don't wheel it then why lift it? If you want to go camping then just pop it in 4hi and be done w/ it.

If you want to hit some trails while out in the woods/forest/desert/beach...etc then go 6in lift with 33's, and a grill guard with 2 off road lights. This will be plenty for mild stuff and keeping everything from breaking. Just get some black rims or something that can get beat to shit though (that's what makes it ricer, if your rims shine brighter than your paint)

No gear changes, no snorkel (which actually hurts power), safari rack is nice if you need it. Everything else is waste of money and you will be caught in the trap of never being done w/ your 4x4