GUN just ordered my reloading equipment :noes:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hsmith, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i went with Soy's 50cal-can loading setup for the time being. i will upgrade to the dillon come january

picked up 2lb of winchester 231 and 1000 large handgun primers to load 45acp to start :noes:

fucking nwords at midway charged me $45 for the FA tumbler that was on sale for $30 :greddy:

so have to get that sorted out :o

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

and it is a lot more than $100 to get started :o

3. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I've yet to take the leap and buy the expensive stuff and I'm stuck with a dilemma.

I know the 50 cal can setup is cheap, and is how many people start, but holy fucking shit, nothing pisses me off more than something that is inefficient with my time. I don't want to spend 20 hours making 1000 rounds.

On the flip side, a nice progressive would be awesome, but they are $$$. I'd be happy to find one used, but I don't know where to look. I don't give a flying fuck about a learning curve. I'm technically inclined enough that I can handle it.

Fuck salt. :mad:

4. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

How much would you guess the cost is to reload about 1000 rounds of 9mm? Trying to figure out if it would be cost effective for me.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Last time I "ran the numbers" :rofl: with jacketed bullets it came out to about 12-13 cents/per, but that was based on using my once fired brass. If you have to buy new brass it will be a wash. "Economy of scale" definitely comes into play with components... guys that are shooting A TON like AB and yar can probably drive it below .10/per but they're probably buying bullets and primers in 10K increments and powder by the keg.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm loading 9mm at about 9 cents each if I pick up brass and buying 9mm bullets at least 3k at a time. You just have to get the deals.

Again as I said you will not save money reloading. You will break about even but you will shoot more. The main reason to reload is to have better ammo. You can taylor the ammo to your guns.

I know Soy is a tougher man that I am because if I had to reload with a hand held press or even a single stage I would quit and buy factory ammo. The minimum press I recommend is a dillon 550. Your going to need to budget $800 to get a 550 with all the extra stuff you need. It's just one of those things you have to do like buying a safe. Spend as much as you can afford, buy once cry once.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

well, i just looked one weekend how muhc time i waste sitting in front of the TV spacing out - so it really isn't a loss of time it is just doing something on my own. sure, cranking out 50-100 rounds isn't that efficient, but meh i can deal with it for the time being.

i did buy things I will use in the long term, i could have saved $100 by buying cheaper products - a few things were very specific to the lee hand press.

all in all, with 500 .451 bullets it came to $325, so ~$265 for all the reloading for one type - but that includes a scale, tumbler, trickler to use in later reloading with a progressive (well not a trickler).

i'll stick with the handloading 45ACP for a few months then grab a 550b, cranking out 400-500 rounds an hour is well worth $400 imo :o

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

well, i won't be happy reloading with the hand press, but i plan on the 550 upgrade very soon. easier to break it up at the moment :o

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lets see, i spent $265 total

i am going to reload 500 45's (i bought 500 bullets and powder and primers locally). the bullets will cost in total $0.17/piece (yeah high but no solid deals at the moment and i wanted to start). that is ~$0.12/piece savings, so off the bat i am saving $60. after 2000 rounds i will have broken even on my press so far - i will be saving a lot more when i move on to .223 and 5,7x28. it will more than pay for my dillon 550 :coold:

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i used excel to justify it :o

[​IMG]

mad savings yo

even if you are buying new brass and reloading it an avg of 5 times, you are still saving mad loot

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Soy doesn't get to shoot nearly as much as he would like to or he would too :big grin:

It'll hold you over til you get the cash for a bigger setup and you can develop some loads while you're waiting. You'll be out all of what $25-30 for the handpress and hand primer when you upgrade so no big loss. My advice would be even with carbide dies, mix up a little lee case lube (spray bottle + 4-8 parts 91% rubbing alcohol and 1 part lee lube) and give a shot up into your die every 25-50 rounds. It'll make resizing go easier.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Any cost savings is insignificant because as Yar says, you usually dump your savings back into buying more components. So you shoot twice as much, but don't feel to bad about it.

The other day I brought 500 rounds of .45 acp and shot all 500 rounds strong hand or weak hand only. Doesn't hurt me in the pockets very much, you can afford to fuck around like that, which is good, because it's unorthodoxed styles of training like that that you learn a lot.

The thing that cracks me up is when I have friends or family come over and see all my bullets and go " so, you think you can kick me down some rounds you have laying around... " I'm like, " uh, no dude I plan on shooting all of these. lol "

But the thing with buying a press is, it will eventually pay for itself. And it's a hobby outside of a hobby. When I'm not at the range, I'm behind the press. It's therapeutic for me as well. I enjoy it, and is a labor of love for me. So I guess what I'm saying is you have to enjoy doing it at times.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

well yeah, the goal is to shoot more. if i am saving 60-70% per round, i can do a lot more. it is just easy to justify "after i reload 4000 rounds, i will have paid for my press" :o

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

When you get into .223 consider looking at other case trimming options. The Lee system is cheap and easy and very slow. The possum hollow trimmer looks to be a good choice if you can find it in stock. I will be buying one before I do my next batch of .223

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

anyone got a good recommendation for a case trimmer? and possibly a tutorial somewhere? :o

i'll blow the cash on a good one if need be :hs:

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

possum hollow with adapater in a drill or drill press is getting lots of good reviews but they're almost impossible to find

ibyarsaysbuyagiraud :big grin:

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I reload my 9mm for 9.79 cents per pop.

18. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

That's what i figured. I'll just continue buying my ammo at cost. :o

19. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

How much was shipping for the powder and primers? I always buy that shit local :o

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

bought the primers and powder local. once i really get into it next year i will be buying in bulk so the $20/haz fees will be nothing :o