SRS just need some more opinions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pepe, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

25, graduating this dec from school with a degree in finance. taking the lsat sept 26th, start school on sept 9th (4 classes this fall), taking the gmat soon after graduating.

right now i am trying to find a decent job/internship for the fall, i only have class mon and wed night (2 on campus 2 online classes), and right now i'm not finding shit. i have a very good gpa (3.77), my work experience includes 2 years managing at home depot, 2 years working at a local bar/restaurant, a summer working for the road commission, i am a us air force veteran, and run/operate my own cell phone repair/customization business on the side.

my school has internship/job postings, but the problem is that all of them are around campus and i live over an hour away and commute. it isn't logical to move there as it is my last semester, and i need to A. get experience related to my degree field and B. hopefully make some cash

right now i am living off student loans and grants, busting my ass studying for the lsat and keeping my grades up, and i have applied to banks, brokerage houses, law firms, accounting firms, and lots of other places. every single job i have ever done i have kicked ass in, but right now the problem is just getting my foot in the door...

anyone have any advice or any other ideas where to look? i could easily get a job working at a bar again just for cash, but i HATE that shit. i don't think i am better than anyone else, but a lot of the jobs i have worked in the past i really feel above right now and this is the reason i have gone to school and worked my ass off.

sorry for the rant, thanks in advance for anything anyone posts.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Location = Everything!!

Jobs are economy + location related, based on supply and demand or self created demand. If you create your own bussiness you create your own system. But if your bussiness or you yourself are in a location where there is no demand for such a financial service then your out of the game.

Therefore the best thing is to establish yourself in the place where there is demand for your skills. Yes you might pay rent, but what you pay in rent you save in terms of gasoline and commuting time, if you manage to get a well paid job in the area then you can compensate such rent expense with the job.

Persistance is the key to success!!!

My take on your current situation however is to sing it out, December will be there before you know it, although it will feel long , use that long time to bust your ass off studying, you just keep on doing what you are doing and graduate.

After that move out to a city (maby like new york) that has a strong financial center, or any given place that has a strong oppertunity compared as to the location where you are now.

A second word of advice on your behaviour compared to a little story, i worked for the head of a financial department of a large company with several branches, this guy itself (almost pensioned tho) is incredibly intelligent, and considered as the upper crust of society, so one day we had to shred papers(as we have to keep all papers for tax reasons for 5 years) which is considered as the absolute lowest job there is, so i was busy shredding those papers, and the head of the financial department comes in , and instead of looking down on me , he helped me doing that same menial job. I used to look down on people or certain jobs just like you, but on that day i learned that a good boss will not care and do every freaking job that needs to be done.

I think you need that same attitude, of course you don't want low paid jobs, however you need to consider your life more like stepping stone, jump from a bad stone to a better stone to stand on. That's all i wanted to say.

3. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Thats the thing, my location is great. Like I said, I go to school about an hour away, and where I live is MUCH better as far as jobs/economy. I just need to get some experience because I want to attend grad school soon after being done in dec, and work experience plays a large role in the application process.

As for your story, I completely understand that and I agree 100%. I am not some person who thinks I shouldn't have to do the small stuff simply because I have a degree, however I have put my time in laying concrete, flipping burgers, cleaning up puke, breaking up fights, dealing with assholes, and getting paid shit wages. I'm not looking down on any jobs or anyone that does them, it is just time to move on, and this is what I have went to school for.

Thanks for the response, I suppose I'll just keep chugging along. I'm really not sure what a lot of these places are even looking for because my resume is pretty solid and I can't even get an interview. I'm not discouraged, more annoyed, but that just continues to motivate me.

4. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

^you are from ohio, explains soooo much

so luvmylegend, do you have anything constructive to add?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009