MMA Just me, or are there more Legitimate Knockouts in PRIDE?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by acidix, Feb 27, 2007.

1. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

I'll admit that I'm a new MMA fan, and this was my first PRIDE event, but it seems to me that there were more legit KO's, versus stoppages due to strikes, that night than I've seen in the past bunch of UFC events. I'll include submissions too, although the numbers are closer. Ive never seen so many unconcious fighters at the end of the event.

Overeem gets knocked out
    Little Nog gets knocked out
    Wanderlei gets knocked out

We're talking, guy doesn't get up type of knockout. Last one I saw in the UFC? Sean Salmon getting KTFO by Rashad evans. The rest were strong punches followed by stoppages on the ground after the hit fighter covers up.

Is there a significant style difference? I'm not saying one is better than the other. If I have the money, I'll get the PPV's. I'm just a newer fan and I've seen a bunch of UFC, and not as much PRIDE.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I think it's just an illusion for the most part, for example look at UFC 66 versus Shockwave 2006. A lot more finishes in the UFC event. It just depends on the event.

Second, to be fair, Pride creates a lot more mismatches than the UFC.

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Also, there were two KOs in the last UFC event which was after the Salmon/Evans bout. At UFC 67, Martin had a brutal knockout of Rivera in 14 seconds (not a mismatch beforehand) and Quinton Jackson knocked out Eastman.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

It varies from event to event. I will say however that I saw more standup fighting in this Pride than I've seen in any other. That's why you see more KOs, because there was less ground fighting, and Pride fighters are way better than UFC therefore get more knockouts when they choose to stand up.

Pride > ****
    Ring > cage
    Plane will take off
    .9999~ = 1

Half kidding here... however I will honestly say that any time I see a Pride fighter execute any technique, be it striking or grappling, they do it with more grace and effectiveness than most UFC fighters do, despite the fact that their opponents typically seem to have a superb ability to defend, counter, and escape those techniques. In that sense, it's all relative, which is saying a lot about Pride.

5. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

I am nauseated by the stank of this horseshit.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I'm nauseated by the stink of YOU!

7. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Pride ensured all the fighters were on PCP

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Funny thing is that in 2/3 KO's, it was the underdog who was scored the KO...

Honestly, it really just depends on the event and the fighters... Both orgs have knock outs, submissions, and the occasional snore fest matches...

9. friedrice

friedrice New Member

Really? Did Gomi lose with more grace then the avg UFC fighter?
    I am not saying,... Ima just sayin.

10. .:JustaDrunk:.

.:JustaDrunk:. \/\/\/\/\/

There is more room to run from your opponent, but stalling against the cage will get the fight restarted to.

11. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

Is that a demonstration of a more graceful comeback? Or is it just relative?

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

thread starter, i think you just watched an INSANELY good event.
    Ill have to say though.... ufc 68 and 69 look like crap compared to pride33...
    unless sylvia, franklin and hughes lost in decisive fashion....:noes:

13. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Guest

sure i agree but franklin.

i want him to win, i dont care if jasons canadian. so he can gain the re-match against silva. of course it wont be immediately after but 2 more i'd say to win w/out losses.

as for couture, i want him to win but at the same time i wanna see crocop lhk tim.

as for hughes, he obviously he got a bit of a mismatch. but who knows i hope he loses :x: