SRS Just made it one month without weed. . .

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fuhman5, Jan 13, 2006.

1. fuhman5

fuhman5 New Member

And hot damn, do I feel better.

I've been a pothead since I was about 16. I think I was probably like most people, in that I slowly started hanging around with friends who smoked more than I did, which in turn lead to me being "sucked into" the pothead lifestyle. After I graduated high school, I had the mentality that "weed is good for you, I mean, look at me: I have my shit together, I'm going to college, I have a girlfriend, life is good."

I often wonder how things would have turned out differently had I never started . . . Upon arriving to college, my smoking days outnumbered my sober days so much it wasn't funny. Still, I was getting good grades, and shit seemed fine. However, after smoking so much for so long, it started to turn into more of a habit than something fun to do. It was more like "Well, time to smoke weed" rather than "I WANT to smoke weed." Eventually, I started getting a little depressed when I would smoke. The depression made me want to smoke even MORE, and it was like a never-ending cycle: I'd smoke because I was depressed, and I was depressed because I would smoke. Well, after I broke up with my girl, I started losing a lot of ambition and such. I really didn't have the motivation to go out and party with friends or meet new people. I was perfectly content with waking up, smoking weed, maybe making it to a couple classes, smoking weed, then right before going to bed, I'd smoke more weed. Eventually, my grades started slipping and I started to lose direction in my life. I told myself I needed to quit. Well, that happened about 20 times. Sometimes I would make it two days with no weed, and other times I'd do better and make it a week. However, it was all-for-not, because that precious herb would keep calling my name . . . mostly from my pothead friends, and damn, it is so hard to turn down free weed, ya know? It's like "Wow, ONE hit to get me a little stoned won't hurt, right?" Shit, the next day I'd rationalize to myself that I got stoned yesterday, so getting stoned today and quitting tomorrow won't be a huge problem, right? And on and on and on and on . . . the ferrish wheel never seemed to stop.

Eventually, I hit a point. My social life, family life, education were all in not-so-good shape. It just seemed like I hit a breaking point. I resolved to stop for a month. I'll admit, it was much easier because I did it over winter break when there weren't as many temptations to smoke. But, it turned out for the good becuase when I got back to school, I never once felt the temptation to smoke. I just remembered all the paranoid, nervous, depressed feelings. My friends didn't even dig on me. Even if they did, fuck 'em, cuz my shit is more important than smoking weed with some stoners all the time. Anyways, I feel 1000X better . .. I get along with my parents, I'm seeing a great girl, my mind is sharper, I go to all my classes, I eat healthier, I don't crave beer and cigarettes as much ,and I'm jsut overall a happier person. Also, quitting cold-turkey is the way to go. I hope this has helped someone in here resolve to give a month-break a go and see how the feel. The world is a much different place. . .

Peace.

2. arpz

arpz New Member

Congrats bro.

3. d0nfry

d0nfry New Member

did you have trouble going to sleep after u stopped? thats the one thing i hate about quittin

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

congratulations

5. fuhman5

fuhman5 New Member

Definitely. However, I found that getting a good bit of exercise in and eating right helped a lot with my sleep patterns. Sometimes, though, you just have to grit your teeth and bear it. :coolugh: The end result is definitely worth it. Good luck.

6. 311-420

311-420 New Member

sounds like you're doing good man. i applaude you. i've smoked about everyday since i was 14 or 15 and now im 19. my experience with it has been exactly like yours, grades at school, social life, everything. The longest i've gone is 60 days. anyways, enough of me. congrats and good luck!

7. Jadix

Jadix The Nice Guy

I found this to be an interesting post. I started smoking junior year in highschool on occaision. I loved smoking back then, it was so much fun, and didn't seem to effect me negatively in any way. Fast forward 4 years, and I'm a sophomore in college. I smoke everyday. All of my friends smoke everyday. I wake up, go to class/work, come home and pack a bongload. Tonight I will smoke the last bowl in my sack, then go out and get drunk, and probably buy a new sack tomorrow. Sometimes on breaks from school I will find I dont smoke for a few days, and I dont crave it. It is not an addiction, but it is definitly a strong habit. All of my house-mates smoke, all the time. I smoke the least out of all of them. They probably hand me 2 joints a day as they're going around the room, and I cant refuse them.

I have taken breaks before, but they never lasted as long as they were initially supposed to. Its hard to not smoke when everyone you're haning out with is all the time. You cant sit down and have conversations with a group of people who are all stoned. I was going to cut back on smoking a few months ago, but then my girlfriend broke up with me just after literally flying around the world for her. I was heart broken, and lonely, and depressed, so I would get high and play video games, or watch movies, or walk. Whatever I did I did it high. And thats how it is.

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Life will get better. Go to a meeting. BTW I went to school in SB for 5 years and experienced similar times. AA and NA in Santa Barbara are an interesting group of addicts who are very accepting, I suggest checking out the fellowship a few times to determine whether you are one of us or not.

9. arpz

arpz New Member

I just made it a week without weed or alcohol. All of my roomies got drunk tonight and I didn't drink at all. I'm at some kind of "ego-death" point of my life where everything seems like a cycle. I'm sick of drinking on weekends, for the sake of doing it, same with smoking. The fleeting high leads to mind-dulling lows the next day.

I want to make something of myself, be successful, graduate, and gain all the materialistic things I crave. Has anyone else seen "trainspotting" or read the book by Irvine Welsh. I feel just like the protagonist. Choose a car, choose a house, choose life.