SRS just made a 10 minute written excercise guaranteed to whip you into motivation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chickentendah, Apr 22, 2006.

1. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

warning: this excercise may evoke feelings of age crisis

Take out a blank piece of paper...

In the top left corner, write the year your life began (birth).

Now begin writing every single consecutive year after that as a continuous list. Assuming you have a life expectancy of 100 years, stop the list after you've reached your birth year + 100 yrs.

Now starting from the top, begin crossing out every single year you have already lived---one by one. You will stop at 2006 of course.

Now take the time to reflect how many years of your life you have just crossed off, and take a look of how much you have left! That's a pretty huge chunk isn't it?

:noes: :noes: :noes: :noes:

Shocking isn't it? Now, don't you feel it's about time to get serious with your life goals? You're not getting any younger! Do you really want to just "get by" with the rest of your life?

:eek4::eek4: :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:

(In case you wondered, I created this excercise TODAY out of feeling unsatisfied with the way I have not met my personal life goals. Verbal affirmations never worked for me.)

2. Uder

Uder New Member

This is a nice little wake up call for some people. But, (I'm not meaning to sound arrogant) if you havent looked at it from this point of view you must be either one dimwitted twit or a very unlucky person who happened to miss something as obvious as this. I guess it is a little cruel to have said that as not everyone has the same abilities and thought methods, but as I live in my own reality, it just seems so freaking obvious in day to day life.

No day can be re-lived (I dont know of any time machines :o), so you say goodbye to it forever, and as this is what is, it should almost be an instant observation of the above exercise.

I think this has been my first ever post in the asylum. :eek3:

3. XPX

XPX New Member

no thanks I'm perfectly aware of my pretty uneventful 28 years :o

4. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

Oh yeah, it's obvious for sure. That's the whole point, it really is a "wake up call." But, how many people actually sit down and actually think about these things? I'm sure results may vary from person to person, but for me, I usually think in terms of days, weeks, months, and only next year----almost never in terms of decades. IMO, "typical" people usually hit the cruise control button in life, because they don't really sense the urgency of time.

In your case, you probably are one of the fortunate few who make the most of each day, and are already well on your way to achieving your personal dreams. ;)

So, I should add. This excercise is more suited towards people who just need to get off cruise control.:squintd:

5. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Ah that's pretty cool. I myself don't need it for motivation, but I can think of some people who it would help.

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Good exercise for some, but it hit home for me on my 25th birthday. I figure I'll live to a max of 75 years, so I'm already 1/3 done.