SRS Just kinda sayin stuff ... long.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpectraRedZ, Apr 13, 2006.

1. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

This is mostly just a "vent" of sorts, just wanting to say it somewhere.... its kinda all over the place but all related.

Alright, a few weeks ago, my bf applied for a job at a company that makes carbon diodes. He'd be working on hydraulic systems, cranes, yadda ya. Mainly basic stuff on industrial equipment. He's been going to school for automotive tech, and used to want to work in a dealership (after finding out they pay by piecework, he changed his mind on that).

Currently, he works at a large laboratory that also does field work and stack work. He's been there about 5 years this summer. Been workin his way up from the office running papers, to field work, to geophysics, to metals prep, and now a step up in the inorganic lab. Most of his coworkers have degrees in science, chemistry, etc, so he's pretty lucky to be in there since he started the actual lab tech work right out of HS. (His dad works there, so that was his in, but even with that, he's been moving on up and getting raises for it).

He applied to another area in the lab about 2 weeks after applying for the other job at the other company. They hadnt called him so he just wanted to move to a different area of where he works now. His boss agreed to give him the job as long as he planned on staying with the company for awhile - he said yes. The next day the other job (I'll call it SD, short for Showa Denko) called him and said they wanted to schedule an interview.

He went to the interview a week ago, met with about 6 different people while he was there. Originally he was told he'd be working four 10 hour shifts a week, but the girl who's dad was helping him get in is the one who told him that. While at the interview, he found out that its only four 10's for the first year / until he gets out of school. After that, its four 12's on, four days off, etc. And then it starts alternating between night shifts and day shifts by the month.

That is the only problem I have with this job opportunity, those types of hours. I work 7-4 right now, and he works 6/6:30-3/3:30 at the lab. We have a pretty nice routine going, where we see one another before work (when we wake up, since we live together), then usually before he goes to class M-W, and after class those days. Days without class we see one another after work.

I'm 19, he's 20. We both say we want to marry one another some day. We're saving for a house together. At this age though, I think a job with shift work like that would be pretty hard on us and our relationship. We enjoy seeing one another like we do now (hell, its one of the reasons I moved here, so we could see each other more). He has admitted that it would be pretty draining working those hours and going to classes. This job would be 1 hour away from the college, vs the 25-30 minutes he's away from it now by leaving from the house, or the 15 minutes away he is if he left for school from work. Also, where he is now is VERY lenient when it comes to hours, days off, and all the overtime you want if you feel like making the extra $$$. They dont limit you to a certain amount (my job doesnt even allow overtime). You can show up at 3am if you want, you can show up at noon. As long as work gets done and you get your 40 hours in.

SD pays a bit more (we arent sure how much, they didnt tell him) than the lab, but he's up for another raise in a little under 90 days now that he's moved another step up there. I dont think I'm prepared to deal with him working shifts like they require at SD. I've been stressing out over this since the day of the interview when he told me about the long shifts he didnt know about before.

SD should be calling him back sometime in the next few days to say yay or nay. There were 10 applicants for the one position - 7 internals and 3 externals. I kept my mind off it for a bit, telling myself internals have a better chance of getting it, but I feel bad for thinking it.

He also is trying to get me into the lab where he is, so we can save on gas since the prices are shooting up. He drives my car to work, and uses 2 gallons a day in gas doing so. I drive his beater, which gets 26mpg but still needs gas once a week at least. He's been talking a lot about the current job, and the raise, and me working with him, which makes me think he made up his mind on what he's going to do IF SD offers him a job, but he tells me he really doesnt know. The other night he said if he turns it down, in 20 years he's going to ask me if I still felt the same as I did now.

It will be a relief if SD calls and says they hired someone else, and all this stress have been for nothing. I'll feel bad if they call and want him, and he turns them down, but happy at the same time. But I'll feel even worse if he takes it. He likes his current job, but says SD could be a career, which I cant see spending the next 20 yrs of my life living with those shifts.

I love him more than anything, which I think is why I cant see myself losing the time we spend together now and giving it to SD. *Sigh* He's just as confused about what to do, if its worth it, and how miserable he will be working shifts that alternate (he knows someone who worked at Newcore, and they HATED it and were always exhausted).

Well, thats it, just needed to get it out. If anyone has any comments or advice, feel free.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. teo

teo . => ? => !

Have you communicated this to him? He can't make an informed decision with your concerns in mind unless he's aware of them.

3. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

Oh yeah, we talk about it a lot. He says he's my concerns into consideration. Both his parents have heard our concerns as well and they both say we just have to keep talking to one another about it. He's told them he doesnt know how well he can deal with hours like that, especially with school at night, and also has told them he doesnt want something to happen between us either. But also thinks it would be a good job to have. He's torn over what to do. He's got it good where he's at, but thinks the other place would be a good opportunity also. Both places have their pros & cons which we've talked about too.

We both think about it everyday, and I guess all we have to wait on is for SD to call him back and let him know if they want him or not.