Just joined this crew!!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by crown royal, Aug 23, 2008.

1. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Never been a rider before. Used to ride dirt bikes back in the day, but my brother was the one that was really serious into the sport(s). Well, I've been wanting a bike for about a year now, and a series of very [un]fortunate events ensued.

My brother has an 2006 SV650. Had it for about 2 years. About 5 weeks ago, in a dirt bike accident, he shattered his left knee :wtc:. Well, after this he has lost his job and just can't afford to pay his bills, so I made an offer. I agreed to take over his bike payments (which I will double up on) if I can ride the bike in the interim. When he gets healthy again it will go back to him (and I will get the equity I put into it back when he sells it).

Anyway - my brother did NOT take care of this precious machine. He sawed the rear fender & break lights off for aesthetic reasons, took off the rear view mirrors and has dropped it numerous times. Oh yeah, he also had a 1/4 inch groove on the front tire where it has worn thin.

But no fear! Today I picked the bike back up from the dealership where I had a new tire put onto it. I have put the mirrors back on (though they are giviing me trouble) and took to the road for the first time.

Glorious. :)

2. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

:h5:

but no fucking mention of your room mate who is just as influential to you about this sport :squint:

3. 7960

7960 New Member

don't post a picture.

4. squid

squid braap

Gear?

5. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

don't double up on the payments. just "rent" it for whatever he pays per month and get your money back when he sells it. no sense in doubling up in payments on a bike that sounds like will sell for way less than blue book because of all the damages.

btw, I don't know your state laws but in most states it's technically illegal to ride your bro's bike unless you are a driver covered on his insurance policy.

6. crown royal

Working on it :o

7. crown royal

Inherited from him. Fieldsheer jacket w/Scorpion EXO helmet. :dunno:

I will be purchasing some Frank Thomas boots and some really nice alpine star gloves by the end of the week.

8. crown royal

Noted and good point.

As for the legality - lol. When I got this bike it had no insurance, inspection or registration. I'm doing all that, will be finished by Wed.

Not positive it will pass inspection though, fucker screwed up the fender. No lights on the license plate. :mad:

9. crown royal

10. squid

squid braap

Get some knee protection too: if not pants, at least some MX shinguards. Icon makes some specifically for street use.

Grats on the bike! Awesome feeling.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

^

shin guards?

12. squid

squid braap

13. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Where I'm from bike inspection is pretty much a joke. Just about anything passes. Lighted plates are not required. Turn signals and mirrors are not required. Anything that is required is generally not checked. So far every time I've taken one through, the guy doing the inspection doesn't even ride.

I've rolled through on some serious pieces of crap and passed just fine.

14. crown royal

Those ARE cheap!!! Definitely down for them. How are they by way of comfort? Do they fit underneath denim well?

15. squid

squid braap

I paid 27 bucks for my EVS...they're on the big side for kneeguards and they fit under most jeans well. Tight jeans they're pretty snug. You know you're wearing them but it's not obnoxious. It's never been an issue.

I'd get the Icons if I did it again because 90% of the time I'm wearing them is when I'm riding street, not dirt.

16. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

well depending on how he did the hack on the rear fender it can easily be fixed like the eliminator listed above but your probably better just taking the tail off and the fender is a sepereate peice that can be unbolted from under the outer tail body peice and leaves very little gap and from the sounds of it since its been droped a few times im guessing a half inch gap is gonna be least of your concerns. And cheap tail lights can be picked up for 15 to 20 bucks off of ebay, or you could get the tailight integrators that flash one side of the tail light instead of seperatly mounted rear turns. Unless you live in a state that says the rear turn signals must be a certain number of inches apart