MIL Just joined Navy...is it worth it? Anyone with advice...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Navymidshipman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Navymidshipman

Navymidshipman New Member

Like the title says I just recently joined the navy. I'm in D.E.P. and I leave April second. M.E.P.S. messed up my depth perception (No surprise) and the only aviation job they had for someone without depth perception was Aviation Support Equipment Technician. My recruiter has been trying his hardest to get Meps to retest me and he said the best option is to retest at boot camp (3rd week 2nd day) and as long as everything goes according to plan there they will let me go to aviation mechanic (the job I really want). So my question is to any person that is/was in the Navy. Is that statement true? How is (married/single) housing? Is it worth the time being in? Thanks to anyone who responds!

2. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Advice? You are in DEP, just tell them "retest me or im gone". If they dont retest you, dont join. Dont do a job you aren't going to like.

3. Navymidshipman

I know I'm not obligated to go into the navy in dep but I really want to do something with my life. I tried the college scene and hated it and I'm sick of finding crap jobs that are going no where. I have been told by a few people that once you get to boot camp you do get retested but I would MUCH rather get into the right job before I actually leave for boot. My recruiter has been straight forward with me about everything. I have talked to a few people that were in Navy (recent and past) about things he has said and they all say it is true, so I do have a lot of trust in what he says. Moreover I would really like to know what the housing and stuff is like also. I haven't heard much about that stuff. Thanks for the responses and that's actually exactly what I was thinking about doing. I am very excited to be going in and that is why I made this username. I know...maybe corny but...

4. itski

itski Yargg

DO NOT go in believing you can change anything in boot. If your not happy with what you have don't go. Trust me on this. I didn't listen. I got fucked.
    TAR, yea woo they told me they would change it in boot no problem. There they told me it was too much paperwork and that the A School would change it, there they told me the boat would change it. The nice CC on the boat told me when I re-enlist it will change. and it will in 35 days, when i go back to being a civilian.
    but if its not the job you want. Make them change it before you go. Cause it will not change after, cause then they already have you.

5. EYOB

EYOB Guest

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

I'm a 6048/USMCR - Aviation Equipment Technician - This job fucking blows. I wouldn't be surprised if one would claim that it is one of the worst MOS's in the US Military. I picked it out of a 5 job line-up when I was denied the job I wanted, which is another story. It was either that or wait till the next fiscal year, which was about 9 months away, for new jobs to open up.

My God, do not join with that MOS.

I wish someone had told me this information when I had enlisted. :wtc:

6. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

Holy shit no wonder why you're such an arrogant, disturbed fuck :rofl:

Props for sticking it out that long though fucker :bowdown:

7. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

What does the job entail?

8. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Maintain and repair parachutes, life rafts, some oxygen regulation equipment, and keeping the pilot's personal gear (helmets, vest, NVG's) in storage till they fly. But within my Reserve unit, the weekends we show up, half the time we are sitting on our asses bullshitting with no PC access, trying to make ourselves busy with nothing to do. I was Active for a year doing this boring shit. I almost got my chance to go to Iraq for 3 months but I didn't show enough (in short) esprit de corps, so they sent someone else. And I really wanted to go, just to say I've gone.

9. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I'll just echo what everyone else has already said here. Get what you want on paper before you ship. You have a bit of negotiating power right now but once you get to boot it's pretty likely that nothing will change for you after that.

10. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

What sort of aviation mechanic do you want to be? There are multiple rates that work on aircraft and they all have different jobs so you might want to look into these before you tell the guy at MEPS you wanna work on jets, and he makes you an AO.

11. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Just thought I'd chime in, what makes you think being an aircraft mechanic is going to make you happier than being some life support/chute repair technician? I've done the former and we make fun of the other, but only because we get hosed and have to have some way to feel superior.

12. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Oh and lol at username..... you wish... (officer cadet...lol) :rofl: *fail*

13. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

If you want to work on the aircraft itself...

AM- Structural mech.

AD- Engine mech.

14. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Reminds me of the Marine Corps. :noes:

15. Navymidshipman

The actual navy website describes this job in a much different perspective.
    Occupational Equivalents

Civilian

The following civilian occupations are similar to the AS Rating. For more information about these occupations, click on the civilian equivalent below.
    Aviation Support Equipment Technicians (AS) perform preventive and corrective maintenance on aviation support equipment, aviation armament handling equipment, aviation mobile firefighting units, material handling equipment, hoisting and lifting devices, and associated components and systems; service, inspect, test, troubleshoot, and repair gasoline and diesel engine systems, transmission systems, hydraulic, hydrostatic, and pneumatic systems, steering and suspension systems, cryogenic systems, electrical systems, gas turbine compressor units, electrical and hydraulic power generating equipment, air-conditioning and refrigeration systems (excluding avionics support equipment); manage support equipment assets at different command levels; and provide training in operation and maintenance of aviation support equipment.

Yes...I do know what a midshipman is..but it was the best option for a username that wasn't already in use. Anyways...I really want a job in the navy that I can use as soon as I get out. Aviation mechanic being one and I have thought about S.E.A.L. training. Can you guys name off some really great jobs that pay well and I can use as soon as I get out?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

S.E.A.L.... :hsugh:

17. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

The description "aviation mechanic" didn't lead me at all towards AS. If you want to work on mechanical shit that in theory has a support role in aviation, AS works I guess. You'll work on tractors and portable power generators and other shit that is support equipment for aircraft. If that's what you're looking for, go for it.

18. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

If you want to work on jets though, the closest you'll get is watching them land on the runway with that job :mamoru:

19. Navymidshipman

Very true. I am definitely working on getting the job change!