Just installed Red Hat 9 and I'm having problems. Please help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Howie Feltersnatch, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Howie Feltersnatch

Howie Feltersnatch New Member

Had an old shitbox that was collecting dust so I wanted to see what all the fuss is with linux, but I might be in over my head. The processor is a 1700 athlon on an m7ncd motherboad, 40 gig samsung hd, and an ati graphics card. I can't remember the model number on graphics card (9600 series, I think it had 128 mb and came with a free download of HL2 )but RH9 couldn't detect it. Used the probe card feature and it came up with VESA (generic) drivers 16 mb. I also have a linksys wireless usb adapter but the OS will not recognize and i can't find any drivers to support it. Any help will by appreciated. Oh I'm using the GNOME gui if that makes any difference set up as a personal desktop. I'll wait til I figure that out before trying any of the other packets.

2. Howie Feltersnatch

if you could just direct me to some cheap hardware (graphics card, and wireless adapter) that is supports linux that could be a great help too. very cheap.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why the fuck are you using red hat 9? That has been EOL for 3 years! If you like the RH releases, then you want either CentOS or Fedora. Personally, I think CentOS is better.

Otherwise, if you don't care about RH, then ubuntu is popular. I prefer gentoo, but it's a little more power-user, and could be overly frustrating for a linux n00b.

9600 will have support from any recent distro.

as for wireless adaptor, many will work. Belkin USB adaptors work, as do Netgear PCI cards. Most cards work now-a-days with NDISWRAPPER.

4. Howie Feltersnatch

yeah, i know it's old. I've had the cd forever just never had a machine i could dedicate to it. I'll try the NDISWRAPPER shit and see if i can figure it out. thanks. oh is there a forum that specializes in this (other than here)?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

varies.

Personally, I find linux forums to not be very helpful. However, many IRC channels exist. Not sure about RH9 -- their support has probably dropped off considerably... However, if you give Ubuntu or Gentoo a try, they have excellent IRC support, as well as an excellent Wiki.

6. Howie Feltersnatch

Will learning RH9 help me to understand all linux distros? (maybe a dual boot system with RH9 and ubuntu). I've been reading about gentoo since you suggested it and most of it goes way over my head. I need to start simply and progress. thanks

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

gentoo would be very complicated to start. I recommend you hold off on that until later. Once you understand linux well, try Gentoo. Once you understand gentoo well, then try LFS. After LFS the last step is to actually make your own distro :)

I would ditch RH9, entirely. It's too "automated". Plus its very out-dated and extremely vulnerable from a security standpoint, in it's freshly-installed forum.

Give Ubuntu a try, first. It's a free download, and they will even send you a free pressed CD if you ask. It's easy to install, and a good learners platform.

Don't dual-boot between linux distros -- you're adding complexity and you don't gain anything by doing so. Pick one distro and learn it well, then move to another if you want.

Ubuntu is based on the Debian unstable branch, and is a good learner distro.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

unstable branch? What does that mean?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Most *nix projects (and distros) have several "branches". "Stable" is considered to be a "rock". It works, and works well. No known bugs that haven't been patched. Very suitable for server use. Unfortunatly, the "stable" branch usually is fairly old. Some distros are built off of the "Stable" branch, such as CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, Debian Stable, SCO, FreeBSD-Stable, etc. The "Unstable" branch is also sometimes referred to as the "current" branch. That's the production branch they're currently developing on. May have a few bugs, patches still being released. Has relatively newer features. Most desktop use would be best on the "current" or "unstable" branch. Ubuntu is one such distro that is a fork of "Debian Unstable". Despite the name, it's very stable for desktop use. That is why the "current" term is sometimes substituted. There is one more branch, sometimes called "dev", sometimes called "snapshot", sometimes called "CVS" (for how you obtain it) and that's the bleeding-edge, may not even work at all, code just got updated today, branch. Never see a distro for this, but many projects have this branch.

Check FreeBSD or MySQL out to learn more... Both offer good explinations of the differences between their branches, and which you should choose, when, and why.

10. deusexaethera

Gotcha. Unstable is indeed an overly-negative word, if what it means is that the current release is about as stable as Windows XP.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You have to understand that the nomenclature evolved years ago, and came from the *nix gods, where stability was the only concern. In many ways, *nix has evolved, but in many other ways, it has stayed the same. Development comes down in that order.

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would agree with everything in this post. RedHat 9 is ancient, definitely not worth using these days, even for learning. Sure, it'll teach you a few things about Linux, but lots of things have changed since then and you're just adding extra hurdles to your learning path by running it.

13. Howie Feltersnatch

thanks for all the help. installing ubuntu today.

14. Howie Feltersnatch

Ha ha, thank you nig-nogs!!! Posted this from my new ubuntu-box! took me a while but I think I got everything going. It had native support for the radeon 9600xt card, but the belkin f5d7050 wireless usb took some time intensive configuration. thanks.

15. Penguin Man

:coold:

Enjoy :).

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not rly. 5 minutes and NDISWRAPPER

17. deusexaethera

Post instructions.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Insert Belkin USB WiFi Drivers CD into CD-ROM.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils wireless-tools
    mount -v /media/cdrom
    cd /meda/cdrom/files/Driver
    sudo mkdir -pv /opt/ndiswrapper/
    cp -v * /opt/ndiswrapper/
    cd /opt/ndiswrapper
    sudo ndiswrapper -i BLKWGU.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    sudo echo "ndiswrapper" > /etc/modules
    iwconfig
    sudo nano -w /etc/network

Take what iwconfig told you (it will list what interface your wireless device is, in my case wlan0, then edit the network file:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

mapping hotplug
    script grep
    map eth0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless_keymode open
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_essid XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

auto wlan0
    fill in with your essid. Then

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    done.

19. Howie Feltersnatch

:eek3: :cool: that's not what i did. did i fuck something royally? I went into wetworking tools, deactivated ethernet. ran some ping -n 4.2.2.2 code then the wireless network was detected and i was surfing. the belkin has some rt2500 chipset that has native support in ubuntu so maybe i just got lucky. the wiki for this thing is saving my ass.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it works, it works. There's card-specfic ways for everything... I like my way because it works for 99% of network cards :coold:

21. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

22. deusexaethera

Are there any noticeable performance losses from using this one-size-fits-all method?

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends on the card. NDISWRAPPER is exactly as it's name implies... it is a wrapper for the NDIS driver specification. It effectively becomes a bridge allowing you to use network (and a few other types of basic) drivers orignally written for Microsoft Windows 2000/XP, on Linux.

There have been isolated cases where the NDISWRAPPER implementation does not perform as well as a proper native driver. Unfortunatly, finding native drivers can be difficult and time consuming. Also, I wish to point out this is compared to "proper" native drivers. Much of what you find on the net is not this. So unless you happen to use a network card that receives excellent opensource support from it's manufacturer, NDISWRAPPER tends to be the easiest solution.

24. deusexaethera

So it's safe to say that most people won't notice any slowdown from NDISWrapper. It's a pity, then, that there isn't a similar way to use Windows drivers for any and all devices on Linux, given the vastly superior driver support there is for Windows. I'd be using Ubuntu at work right now if I could only have gotten the driver for our Xerox Phaser to play nice.

25. Penguin Man

That's a better way than using ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper is intended for cards that don't have open-source drivers; it lets you use the Windows drivers. It's a godsend for some cards, but for an rt-based card, using the native open-source drivers is better anyway.

I have that same card, actually. I bought it specifically because there are open-source drivers for it.