GUN Just inherited some firearms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phlashkill, Apr 3, 2010.

1. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

Just inherited about 10 firearms from my grandfather. I have no paperwork on these firearms, and I would like to be able to have them all legally mine to do with as I please.

What should I do now. Oh and I live in Missouri (if that changes anything).

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Long guns, or handguns? If long guns, they don't have to be registered (at least in my state they don't.... I think that's how it is most places still). Handguns, just take them to the local police station or sheriff's post. Tell them you inherited them and need to register them.

They'll have you fill out a permit to purchase and once you're approved, they can register the guns with the serial numbers on them (or if they don't have serials, they'll stamp them). It was fairly straightforward when I had to deal with something similar a few years ago.

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

As long as you can legally own them (no felonies or misdemeanor domestic violence) you don't have to do anything. The is no federal requirement for registration and if I remember correctly MO shouldn't have anything either.

Enjoy your family heirlooms.

4. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Don't listen to anything in this post as it is completely wrong.

It's an arms length transfer and you don't need to do anything.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_mo.htm

5. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

In Alabama you can do a personal transaction with no paperwork involved.

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

In missouri there is no paperwork requirement. As long as you are legally able to own them, possession is ownership.

7. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

details on the 10 guns

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

9. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

In Missouri? Laws differ by every state. If you went to a law enforcement office in Ohio and tried to do what you said to do, you would probably get drug tested and asked to blow into the breathalyzer. Seriously though, the cops would ask you what the fuck you were talking about. Register? They would promptly inform you that no such system in the state of Ohio exists, and everything I can find states that nothing of the sort exists in Missouri either. It's an arm's length FTF essentially and the will that gave him the guns serves as the BOS.

Michigan has completely different laws then Missouri or Ohio in which they do require handgun licenses and registration.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You are talking about Michigan state laws. Unless you have knowledge of Missouri state laws on transfer of firearms, your info doesn't really help the TS.

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

Granted.

12. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Your lawyer is likely wrong. MOST states do not require any sort of paperwork for personal gun transfer, assuming you are legally able to own them. the media has convinced many people that there's some sort of registration, like with a car, for gun ownership when there isn't.

13. pyite

pyite Member

So now that you know you dont have to tell the government shit, how about giving us some details on these guns?

I like old grandpa collections.

14. Aero277

Aero277 OT Supporter

I can speak from experience. Now...details on the guns.

15. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

Mainly Long guns, but a few pistols. Some of these are really special because one was owned by my great grandfather, and another was the first gun my grandfather ever purchased.

the gem in my mind so far is a General Motors M1 Carbine. if anyone has any way of looking up serial numbers on these let me know.

another one is a S&W 357 Highway Patrolman.

16. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

also my cousin works at an antique shop of sorts and the owner has a "firearms expert" that they bring in. my cousin is going to see if we can get him to look at all of them. maybe find out something new about them.

17. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

on the M1 carbine, does it have a adjustable sight? (i.e. small knob that moves the rear sight left and right)?

Or is it a simple flip up rear sight?

Also, does it have a bayonet lug (steel bar underneath the barrel)?

If it only has the simple flip sight and no bayonet lug, then it's most likely a original condition war carbine, and could be worth a good amount.

If it has the adjustable sight and bayonet lug, then it was rebuilt after the war, most likely a "mix master" of parts, and worth less. You can still buy M1 carbines in this condition from the CMP for $500-$700.

18. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

As long as he was a Missouri resident, then you shouldn't have to do anything. Having to regiser something that is your constitutional right = major fail...

19. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Only if all the parts are correct for the manufacturer and serial number range. Simply having a flip sight and Type 1 barrel band does not mean it's worth anymore than a service grade CMP carbine.

20. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Actually it's an Inland carbine, Inland was a division of GM.

21. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

yes it has the lug and the adjustable sight.....bummer. but i am still happy to have it!

thanks for the help so far. i guess my concern over them being "registered" is for insurance purposes and the like.

22. beetle

That's exactly the right attitude.. they were your grandfather's so they are priceless.

Don't worry too much about the lug/sight, as the majority of m1 carbines are in this condition.

A little more info about your carbine: The carbine was designed as a lightweight rifle for second line troops. The war dept felt that there was a risk that the German blitzkreig style of war could penetrate the first line and put second line troops in jeopardy, which at the start of the war was only armed with 1911 pistols. Second line troops would include the supply train, mortar and machine gun pits, etc.

Your carbine was built by Inland, which is a division of General Motors. There is a high regard for carbines built by Inland. Indeed, according to Scott Duff, a highly regarded collector and author for American ww2 rifles, "My personal favorites are those manufactured by Inland; they were the Springfield Armory and Colt of the genre". Scott is associating Inland as the most well known of carbine manufacturers, much as Springfield Armory was for Garands, and Colts for 1911s.

There were about 11 manufacturers for carbines. Inland made the most out of any manufacturer:

Inland: 2,644,048
    IBM: 346,500 (the computer company)
    Irwin-Pederson: 223,620
    National Postal Meter: 412,778
    Quality HMC: 359,666
    Saginaw: 293,592
    Standard Products: 247,155
    Rockola: 228,500
    Underwood: 545,616
    Winchester: 865,394
    Commercial Controls: 239

Some interesting history in that list. You can see that every industry was getting into the war effort, including those companies familiar with making machinery. Like IBM (which made adding machines), Underwood (typewriters), Standard Products (tools), and even Rockola (jukeboxes).

Anyways, the carbine is a fantastic fun little gun to shoot. And you have the added benefit of an emotional attachment to yours by way of your grandather. Congratulations on a fantastic piece.

sorry can't help you on the registration stuff, each state is different.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

They might be highly regarded by some, but as far as collectibility they are on the bottom rung. Irwin Pederson is #1, then Rockola, then Saginaw S'G'

24. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

read your insurance policy or call your agent to see if the guns are covered...shit, i need to do that myself

25. beetle

While I agree with you, I think you and I are in different scenarios than the OP. We're collectors, he is not. So while we value things like scarcity, original condition, that's not really the point for him.

Inland was the highest producing carbine manufacturer, which means they ironed out all of the production issues. The collectable ones (Rockola, etc) never got fully off the ground which means their quality was poor. Low # made = high collectability, but lower quality.

To the OP, that gun was your grandfather's, that makes it worth more than the other stuff. Who cares who made it, what configuration it's in, etc. I would just take pride in knowing you have your grandfather's guns and that your specific example of the M1 carbine is one of the better built ones out there.:bigthumb: