Just how smart are the Geniussssssesss

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jacen2141, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

So I'm having the same screen flicker issue that I had 3 months ago (on my C1D Macbook). It's a very intermittent problem that, naturally, won't duplicate when I take it to the Genius Bar.

Basically, in March, the screen began to flicker and I took it in and without hesitation they replaced the inverter and something else to rid me of my problem. Well, it's back. So I called Apple Care and asked if it was at all possible for me to use my C1D Macbook as credit to upgrade to one of the LED based Pros, and I would pay the difference. My argument was that the LED based displays will not suffer from the same screen flicker issue that the other laptops do. My answer was "No."

Long story short, I wound up going back to the Genius bar at my local store and he blames the screen flicker issue on Azureus. :ugh: I guess I should have removed it from the computer before paying them a visit, but come on. Does he have any reason to think that? He verified that these are his own opinions, nothing from Apple has been confirmed but that programs of that nature mess with Preferences, more specifically Energy Saver. The result is erratic screen brightness. He says he's seen 5 with the same issue and all 5 used P2P programs and once he enabled a second User or renamed the Preferences folder in Library that the problem went away. In no way did he say that he would deny a repair on the laptop...just said that I might want to try format/reinstall or use another user account for a while to see if it reappears.

Anyone have any insight? Obviously hoping to pay the difference on the Macbook Pro was shooting high but is his answer even valid? :hs:

2. skitcy

skitcy uhm title! ok

hmm my screen has the same issue except it's extremely rare and I havn't taken it in yet since I couldn't go a few days w/o my mbp :(.

Get them to replace the LCD is about all you can do, format the damn thing and tell them it's still doing it if they are saying it's Azures

3. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

I used Azureus on my powerbook and have never had a problem like that? Can you adjust the energy saver settings from within azureus? Also, I use Transmission now that it is Oink compatible...

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I highly doubt that Azureus would cause something like that...tell them to fix the damn thing

5. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I'm glad to see others agreeing with me. This problem is pretty significant and a quick Google search of "macbook screen flicker" turns up an insane amount of links. Of further interest, some of the links will take you directly to Apple's own forums and a lot of the threads have been locked.

I'm probably going to have them fix it (again), however, I doubt that it will permanently cure the flicker as most people say that it comes right back (as it did with me, after only 3 months). It got so bad yesterday that it was going from full brightness to a black screen and back. :ugh:

Like everyone else, I just thought it was absurd that he was blaming it on a file sharing program.

6. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

there is not alot of parts to replace. the lcd, inverter, and MLB. After that it could simply be a bad design on one of the parts. When I was a "Mac Genius" if you came in a second time with the same issue (not just stopping by the bar but checked in and had a repair take place), I'd replace everything that could cause the problem. If you hit a third time for service you would be waiking out with a new laptop. YMMV depending on the "Mac Genius" and store management.

7. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

That's the kind of service I was hoping for...

I'm very familiar with the YMMV as I work for Best Buy. We deal with similar issues. I would have just hoped for a little more than "it's Azureus that's causing it"...it just seems like such a copout. I do have a particular Genius that I'm going to talk to next time. He wasnt in there the last time I went.