MIL Just how hard is MARINE boot camp?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Towely, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Towely

Towely New Member

Is it quite a bit harder than the Army boot camp?

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

depends. I went through Army Infantry and was told by former marines that it was comparable. I think biggest difference is less brainwashing in Army basic

3. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

YOU WILL LOVE THE MARINES! lc

4. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

From what I've discussed with my buddies that have been to the MC, Navy, AF, and Army boots it's the toughest (yes I've had friends in all the branches). Second toughest would be the Coast Guard's boot. I'm serious.

5. Jyokker

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

There are differences in Army basic. The hardest is obviously Ft. Benning-Home of the Infantry. Ft. Knox and Ft. Jackson are easier plus they are co-ed.

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

'former' Marines don't need to go through your basic training. Now maybe infantry school again to learn comparable tactics to our SOI, but not basic. But I understand that the Army has different locations for different 'jobs' for basic, which would confuse me on the infantry side of things.

8. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

From what I know, those bases get weekend liberty... fucking :greddy: . That's enough to tell me how hard it is right there.

9. Jyokker

Unless it is so hard that the people need liberty in order to keep them sane.

10. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

That's a negative on Ft. Jackson.

11. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

:hsugh:

12. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

weekend liberty? since when?

13. smokie700

All army infantry go to Benning. There is no such thing of wekend liberty for Infantry. You might get a weekend liberty after basic (8 weeks) aka mid cycle pass. This is not a given. Then you go back until you graduate Infantry school (another 5 weeks). Then another 2 weeks if your mechanized. {this is from my experience in 1996}

Indsav - your right about prior service and basic but How can any marine or Army say which basic is harder? No-one can go through both and even if you are able to go through basic twice, the hardness of basic is the mindfuck. Once you have been through once the difficulty is gone.

As far as physical difficulty, I would assume that Army Infantry and Marine basic is similar.

14. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

At benning it various by Battalion, Company and Plt. On Sunday you can go to church if there isn't training going on. Sometime they allow you to go to the Rec Center for a few hrs as well. This is all cadre dependant though. Someguys never went, some guys did. I personally did have this opportunity. It doesn't make it any less hard. Shit I spent 4 weeks in the Special Operations Preparation Course and that was certainly harder then fucking basic training and we had weekends off.

15. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Uhhhh, if an army guy wants to come into the Marine Corps he or she has to go through our boot camp. I belive the Marine Corps is the only branch of the military to where if you want to transfer to another branch, no basic is needed. For good reason, IMO. I'm sure there are army guys out there who have come over with us and could probably tell you and I about it. I know that some USMC MOS schools are on Army bases which are conducting basic training for recruits and what our Marines see is- nasty. I know of a lot of stories in which a simple platoon Sergeant will fuck with your drill sgts during PT and they're too scared to do shit back.
    As for going back and the difficulty being gone, you WOULDN'T PAY ME ENOUGH MONEY to go back to that fucking place and 'retrain' as a recruit.

I belive your comparison of Army infantry and Marine basic is comparing apples to oranges. IE- different type of training.

16. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Your stories are great and all. What are you again? Supply or some shit? I've trained with a couple guys who were in Force Recon in the marines. You know where they are now? The Army. I understand you guys go through some extensive brain washing. I'm not saying you aren't a capable branch because you can do a good job but you really should lose the attitude that the Marine Corp owns all because it doesn't.

A good buddy of mine came back from San Diego in December and he didn't even mention that it was hard and was like "hell". He certainly wasn't no PT stud either when he went there. Just a scrawny kid who wanted to join the Marines Reserves and a be tanker.

17. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

:hahano:

18. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

A lot of former Marines go Army. Lots of reasons- pay, promotional options, different type of structure, areas of types of training, etc.
    Yes I am supply, but I have been through my shit enough to talk trash at army basic... which was the topic. :rolleyes:

19. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Marine bootcamp is only accepted if you have been through it within 5 years. After that you have to go through bootcamp like everyone else.

20. smokie700

You haven't earned any right to talk trash about army basic. IIRC your not army nor have you went through army basic. let alone Army infantry basic. Difficulty is strictly in the eye of the beholder. If any services basic was sooo damn hard then the US would not have a military.

I can just as easily say basic for all branches now is a joke compared to when I went through. I don't because I haven't been through any other basic than Army Infantry (1996). It was tough. And I promise you my drill's could give 2 shits about Marines. I had 2 SF drills, 3 rangers, all were Airborne. 1 of them was SF, Ranger and Airborne. These guys did not fuck around and made sure we knew it.

These marines that were at Army bases for MOS school were seeing AIT soldiers that had pog jobs like supply. Not infantry

21. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

:bsflag:

WTF?! In my DEP manual it says that Marine boot camp will not brainwash me! Are you all saying that the USMC is lying to me?! :eek4d:

22. smokie700

I wanna say sumphin so bad but I'll be nice. hehe:angel:

23. camrytt

camrytt Sexual Deviant

when you're around triple tab guys every day it kind of loses the "wow" effect. I went to ft. benning in 2003 for basic (i'm in a combat support mos), knowing only what my best friend had told me about infantry basic training. it was unbelievably easier than everything he told me, so I can't really help with any of this..... had friends in the navy and marines too, but marine and army infantry both sound hard. I'm going to be like pretty much everyone else, and just say that marine shit is worse mentally.

24. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

There were three prior service Army guys in my platoon. Two of them told me that both trainings were very similar. The only difference was that Marine bootcamp was a little longer. The other army guy got dropped for beating the shit out of another recruit.

25. burton564

burton564 New Member

holy shit, you guys need to know what the fuck you are talking about before you open your mouth up in here. For the army, Ft. Benning, Ft. Knox, and Ft. Sill are all men only. Basic training is the same at all of them. Osut infantry and tankers and field artillery might be different. But basic training is basic training. Jackson and Leonardwood are the two co-ed bases. You have no weekend libertys, whatever the fuck a liberty is. I've been in the army for 7 years and i have never heard the word liberty used ever. TRADOC makes the rules, and the get followed everywhere, and from what i heard its tougher with the girls cause they are always late and shit, so you get punished even more.