just how capable would an intel atom cpu be? also 3G Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Dec 15, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Could I virtualize Windows XP in VirtualBox for playing poker without trouble?

I can do this okay on my current computer which has an Athlon XP 2500+ cpu. How would Intel Atom 1.6Ghz compare with what I currently put up with can anyone take a good guess?

(I only have <400Mb ram, which all subnotebooks beat. I just need to know if the cpu wont be a significant step backwards)

Also 3G broadband is getting off the ground even over here. If I was to wait to get a subnotebook or laptop, will I be able to get it with integrated 3G modem so that I don't need to carry around a dongle or usb stick? Because that would be pretty damn convenient. Does that mean the laptop will have a sim card slot?

(I dont know how 3g broadband works)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The CPU should do alright, but the RAM is going to be a big problem. You'll need at least 1GB to run Linux and XP at the same time without wanting to kill yourself.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I'm going for that much, indeed.

It is quite crappeh on my computer with 386Mb ram or whatever it is, and it's especially annoying because it trashes my swap on my loud LOUD harddrive. But in any case I won't hear anything with an SSD :naughty:, and it will be quicker.

The perhaps slightly worrying thing about this is that if it ever is swapping a lot, then it'll reduce the lifetime of my ssd. But I don't know how major that problem would be, and an upgrade to 2Gb of memory would certainly solve it also. So I'll be looking for notebooks with 2 ram slots.

Storage will be a concern also, but I could keep Windows on a 4Gb SD card maybeh.

Then I'll have room on an 8Gb ssd for Ubuntu and whatever music I happen to be listening to and whatnot.

I'm surprised to hear your speedy ratification of the cpu really. I was using an Eee box once and it was quite impressively snappy, but at a task like virtualizing Windows I wouldn't have known what to expect. I mean the chip is for energy saving and it's so f00king tiny.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well...it's not going to run like it's the only OS on the machine, but it'll do alright. You said you were going to play poker, not Crysis, so that shouldn't tax it too much.