MIL just how bad is boot camp

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by staticflo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. staticflo

staticflo Guest

im thinking either navy, coast guard or air force. i have smoked cigs for the past 3 yrs and realize i need to get myself in much better shape before going to boot camp. im not unathletic by any means. im just worried about how i will fare in boot camp. ive never lived away from home. i think of myself as a strong person though and think that if i put myself in that situation i will be able to get through it with flying colors. also, which of the 3 do you think is the easiest boot? which one provides the best path for someone who is looking to join to get out of his hometown, experience an adventure and finish college?

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I'm in the Navy (Aviation Electrician - I work on F/A-18E Super Hornets) so I can't speak for the AF or Coasties, but my situation prior to shipping sounds similar to yours. I was a smoker for 5 years before boot, I never really took care of myself, and I made it through boot camp with no physical problems. It took a few weeks before I wasn't sore after every PT but I made it. Boot camp is a lot more mental than physical IMO, and I would have no way of knowing which is the easiest, as I'm sure they're all challenging. The Navy will get you out of your hometown and you will definitely experience some kind of adventure, so long as you choose a good rate. There are also plenty of options for you to continue your education, as they offer classes aboard the ship, at least on carriers. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Air Force. Even though the AF basic training has recently been revised to make it more physically tough, it is probably still easier than the other services. I don't think we've had anyone go through it and post about their experience since the changes went into effect late last year.

Probably Air Force, again. Air Force generally gives you more of a "normal working hours" routine than the other services. Although for "adventure" I would probably go with the Navy. Judging from Navy friends I've had through the years, their port calls > anything I ever saw in the Air Force. :eek5:

4. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

if you're not a Marine you're just a pussy waiting to be fucked.

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Don't take any advice from this guy :fawk:

6. Cheschire

Cheschire New Member

The air force is the easiest physically, but once you get out of basic, it's a lot of political bullshit AFAIK.

The army isn't terribly different, but we actually have respect for each other. Every year the army gets more like the air force though, so who knows what the future holds. All I know is it's easier to get promoted in teh army, and it's easier to pick your own job.

the other two I've no clue on.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

Can't go through life always doing the easiest shit you can find.

8. staticflo

staticflo Guest

im not looking to take the easiest route, but i know myself and the air force appeals to me cause i like the fact that once im out of boot it will be like a civilian job. a buddy of mine is in the coast guard and tried to say i shouldnt join the navy cuz when they go to ports the navy guys are stuck on the boat the whole time while the coast guard is out on free time in all these cool places. also which of the 3 i said have the best living qtrs while in boot and then in tech school?

9. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Don't listen to everything you hear. We get liberty in every port. The only time I would be stuck on the boat is when I'm on duty.

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with the normal working hours. Maybe out of his choices they are. In the army though, most people don't work night shift. Working day for my mechanics is 9-5 unless they are behing in services, but that doesn't happen very often. The air force people i know worked 3 shifts a day. And none of them are that physically tough, i'm gonna say 2 a day high school football practice was harder. I smoked a pack of a cigarettes a day, for 4 years before going to army basic and i didn't find it that difficult.

11. Cheschire

Cheschire New Member

yeah for the most part, from what i've seen, most army guys work 9 to 5 jobs when not deployed.

the real question you should be asking is what's the deployment schedules for each branch. i know army has been at 1 on 1 off (give or take a few months, or for some guys, 1 year on, 1 month off) since the beginning of the war. From what I hear about the Air Force though, they get 120 day deployments? I dunno how all that goes though. Need to hear it from some deployed air force guys to really know.

12. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

I'm airforce. I work a 7:30-4 job w/ one hour lunch. Weekends off and btw us military folk have a 4 day weekend comming up. But over all airforce basic is easy. Just be able to run 1.5 miles and do 50 sit ups and pushups.

Deployed for active is 90 days and for reserve its 120.

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I only read the first sentence. You'll be FINE in any route you go.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:werd:
    We work 7-5 but get every other Friday off. So each month we have 2 3-day weekends. Go in as band flight and eat cake the whole way through. My peers who came through as band flight said it was summer camp.

15. Ranger-AO

:bowdown:

Thanks! And good luck!! :wavey:

16. Ranger-AO

:werd:

I went to Lackland in January ... a few years ago ... :hsugh: and I was shocked at how cold it was.

17. darnit

darnit New Member

:) :) :)
    GO Navy FTW!!

18. lvkyle

lvkyle I am a punk rocker!

Well I know the Navy bootcamp isn't going to be 'easy'. It's probably not as physically demanding as the army or marines bootcamp, but it isn't going to be all fun and games either. They will put a lot of pressure on you especially if you're a fuckup and can't run. They have zero tolerance for people who can't hack it and will make an example out of you.

It may be easy for some who are in great physical shape, but there will still be plenty of stress put on you with inspections, lack of sleep, drill practice, taking orders, ect.

I would put down the smokes and make sure you can do 50 pushups with perfect form and without resting in 2 minutes, then take a two minute break and do 60 situps in two minutes without resting.
    Take a two minute break, then run a mile and a half in under 12 minutes.

If you can do that then you're ready. Depending on your age you might have to do less that those numbers, but you seriously need to get your lazy ass in shape if you can't do that. Girls will be passing you on the track and talkin shit to you if you cant do that. If you don't pass the physical tests in navy bootcamp you will be sent to a fat camp part of bootcamp where extra 'motivation" will be used to get you in shape to pass the physical tests.

19. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Very true.

20. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

When I joined the Navy I could do 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, and a 15 min 1.5 mile run. And I smoked prior to boot.
    When we got to the physical test at the end of boot I did 60, 60, 12. and lost 20 pounds.

21. Ozner

Ozner Offical TSL OP Leghumper

I think i was the first OTer to post from basic training. Trust me when i say base liberty go to the subway and go on the computers. Its a cheapprice to pay and enjoy online time. Maybe around your 3rd week.

22. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

duct tape your balls and the opening to your butthole

23. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

what job did you get? :wavey:

24. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

:cool: 1N330 here...i leave march 14th

25. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

I posted on OT in basic too.