GUN Just had my first experience with a Glock...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by saxman, Feb 3, 2008.

1. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I'm not impressed. Went to the range and rented a G26(believe that's the right number... was a compact model). Didn't feel good in my hands, felt cheap, and most importantly, was horribly unreliable. Had several stove pipes and the magazine kept popping out(I spent most of the time shooting just verifying to myself that I wasn't hitting the mag release in any possible way when firing). Was doing it to me a lot, only a few times to my friend.

Ended up cutting my hour in the lane short... was very frustrating. Range master couldn't seem to find anything obviously wrong with the pistol.

I'm sure it's entirely possible it was just due to the gun being a rental gun, but from all the stories I hear about the glocks being able to go through hell and still be reliable, I certainly wasn't expecting such a frustrating time.

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Doesn't sound characteristic of a Glock.

3. The vast majority of stovepipes in Glocks are due to the shooter not holding his wrist rigid. A cop friend of mine hates Glocks. He always goes on and on about how it stovepipes on him. The rangemaster where we shoot is a Glock Armorer and keeps telling him that it's all in the wrist. Of course, he (the cop) doesn't believe it and just blames the Glock. I've never had a single jam with my G29, even shooting underpowered practice loads with a 24# spring.

I can't imagine why your magazine was falling out. Maybe there's something wrong with that gun.

There's a reason that Glock has such a massive following among the public, law enforcement, and militaries.

4. sebeck

sebeck New Member

Do a search for my review. I wasn't impressed either.

5. saxman

only stovepiped once or twice on me... and was times that the magazine popped out, so maybe have been related to that.

The magazine issue was quite frustrating... it would basically pop out maybe 1/4th of an inch, about half the time after loading a round, the other half the time I'd find the top round in the magazine pushed forward half an inch or so.

In addition, the 10th round took a TON of effort to put into the magazine. I ended up just shooting 9 rounds most of the time instead of chewing my fingers up on the magazine lip.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I wasn't impressed with the G26 either, but the other 9mm models are fanfuckingtastic.

7. New magazines are a pain in the ass to load to capacity. I have no idea how old the mags you were using were, but if they're still relatively new that could account for the loading trouble.

8. saxman

Could have been a new mag, who knows. Just know it hurt like a bitch to get that last round end, and the rest of them weren't that much better.

The whole magazine coming out issue really was the biggest issue for me. I rarely was able to get 2 shots off without it happening.

9. Perhaps if the spring that holds the mag release was starting to fail, combined with the stiffness of the springs in the new magazines that could result in it dislodging the magazine. Do you have any idea how old the pistol itself was?

10. saxman

no clue how old it was... only occurred when firing, I could yank pretty hard on the mag and it wouldn't budge.

11. MTech

MTech New Member

12. el capitan

el capitan New Member

range beater ftl

13. saxman

true, but with the talk about how bulletproof(bad pun perhaps) the glocks are, I expected more

14. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I have 100% faith in my Glocks, but I too had a bad range beater experience.

I decided to rent a G17 to get a feel for a fullsize 9mm. This thing had atleast 4-5 fail to feeds out of every loaded mag. I know it wasn't limp wristing because I had a complete death grip on the thing to try and rule out limp wristing. Passed it onto a friend and he experienced the same exact thing.

I wrote it off as a range rental gun, and not a fair assessment for it. At some point in time, I'll try to get my hands on another, non-rental, gun. I will say though, that when I did get it to load up a round, I was waaay more accurate with it than I was with my own G23.

15. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I've cleaned my 19 one time since I've owned it (almost a year now) and I've never had a jam, ftf, stovepipe, whatever. Close to 5k rounds through it at this point.

16. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

The Baby Glocks are sometimes more difficult for new folks to shoot accurately due to their smaller size, smaller sight radius, etc... Unless something was very bad wrong with that particular Glock, I will guesstimate you were limpwristing it. This is a somewhat common issue with some new folks who fire Glocks.

17. saxman

how would limp wristing it make the magazine pop out?

18. saxman

I spent a good 50 rounds being very very sure that I wasn't pressing the mag release. Guarantee you I wasn't pressing it. Was happening to my friend as well(although not as often).

I have a P99c that I'm waiting to pick up on thursday.

19. saxman

I didn't pick out the gun at the range today, friend did.

Bought the compact version of the P99 because I liked how it felt in my hand, wanted something small, and wanted something that I could carry if I move out of Ca. Ok, and because aesthetically I like how they look. Mainly because I like how it felt in my hand.

20. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Gets a field strip after every range trip. I should have specified that it's only been detail stripped once :o

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

although your experience is definitely a bad one, I don't think its representative at all of glocks in general.

22. saxman

I'm sure it's not, and don't claim it to be... it just didn't leave a good taste in my mouth about a gun that never really tickled me right anyway. I'll likely never own a glock, but I really never had any desire to in the first place.

I'm sure they work great for most people that own them, but it certainly made me glad I purchased my P99.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I used to hate glock. But now owning one, it's a supurb handgun.

24. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

It wasn't limp wristing. :fawk:

25. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

This is going to sound dumb, but what does "stovepipe" refer to?

I shot the G26 and ended up with a M&P9c because the 26 was just too small :hs: