just got the porter cable got some questions...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by xxpanipuri, Jul 8, 2006.

1. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

this is the kit i got

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

now it came with a spacer (according to the owners manual) already installed

on it it says that i should only use 6" pads...

but i also got a 5 inch flexible backing plate (as a bonus)

I'm assuming i can use the 5.5 inch light cutting pad to get into those smaller areas....with the 5 inch flexible backing plate...

I can also use the 6.5 inch pads with this same flexible backing plate or should i get a 6inch flexible backing plate???

i'm pretty sure i can use the 6.5" pads with the 5 inch plate as it will give me an extra 1.5 inches of pad between the backing plate and the polishing/cutting pads???

2. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

You can pretty much use any of the pads as long as you have some extra pad coverage beyond the backing plate. 5" plate w/6.5 pads is pretty standard. If your talking about that little spacer that is like 1/4 inch tall by 1/2 wide and goes between the buffer and the backing plate, I wouldn't use it. It gave me a bunch of extra vibration. Try putting the backing plate on w/o the spacer and it shoudl clear fine.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Toss the handle in the trash too. I just put my other hand on the head of the PC, makes the pressure more even.

4. xxpanipuri

man i just started using it on the camry today

i had some paint that rubbed off on the mirrors when trying to park in the garage last yr when i first moved into this house...

the pc on 1-2 with the 3m rubbing compound and it took all that paint off....

man this thing is sweet i don't know how i lived without it

tomorrow i'm going to polish it and then wax it....

so far so good :)

my digicam is gettin repaired...so i can't take pics i'll try to take some on my camera phone tomorrow once i'm done...

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

1 or 2?

Heh, with some more confidence, your PC will never see speeds that low ever again. Most of us here are betwwn 5-6 most og the time, and only step down to 2-3 when applying sealents.

A word of caution witht he handle removal. THe front plastic end cap can pop off. Mine does it, as does a friends.

So i just took teh handle down to the nearest Home Depot, and got a couple little half inch button head screws with the same thread spacing, and put them into the handle screw points. That way it doesnt pop off anymore, and it makes me feel a bit safer about it.

6. xxpanipuri

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006