MMA just got off a 2wk ban, competed in my 1st BJJ tourney *VIDS*

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Maestro Nobones, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

:wavey: I missed you guys! why'd I have to get banned during the 2 weeks we had an UFN, a PPV w/ 2 belts going to new owners, and my first comp?!?!

anyway my first comp, tho losing, I achieved my goal of staying calm and relaxed and not blowing my wad in 10 seconds, or going out there and trying to match my opponent's intensity and letting him set the pace of the match. I lost by points the first match but if I'd had another minute could have evened it out, I was moving into a position I'm pretty good from. Considering my opponent was sandbagging (he's been competing grappling and MMA for a number of years) and I've only been training the gi with any regularity for 2 or 3 months, I did OK by not being subbed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjJxd7VWoEc

second match I lost quickly to a collar choke which honestly I didn't know how to defend. oh well. gotta work my gi stuff more.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbnhHECykvI

I also didn't get to compete no gi, where I'm much better, because I didn't make it to the place on time sunday, but almost nobody showed so it was all weights and experiences in a single bracket, and 99% of the people competing were from my academy and I get to roll with them all the time, so I didn't miss out on much.

anyway I missed you guys!

2. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

What weight were you at?

3. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

You couldn't see the choke from that angle, and I'm not that experienced in bjj, but it looked like just pushing his elbows in would have stopped it.

4. Maestro Nobones

was at 185 lbs I cut off 5 lbs.

to defend that choke I now know I should have gotten my hands inbetween the collar and my neck.

5. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

To defend that choke, block with your arms. I suck at explaining but he has to pull you to him to finish, so just put your arms in there and keep him from being able to pull you all the way down.

6. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

why didnt you shoot and take a leg?

7. Maestro Nobones

because my wrestling is shit, and I was first trying to set up a shot, but then changed my plan at the last second, allowing him time to grab my collar. I tried to defend but did the wrong thing and he choked me out.

8. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

ahh just a basic collar choke.. you gotta train gi more :)

but good job, competing isnt easy. sometimes youre better than someone, and they beat you just because theyre more composed, and more used to pressure

9. Maestro Nobones

well the second time I got beat simply because, as you said, I don't train gi enough.

10. snigg

snigg New Member

congrats on competing man. i lost both of my gi matches at my first tournament as well, but like you I had 1 month of gi training at the time, coupled with about 5 months of no-gi training. one thing i noticed in your videos, try lowering your stance a bit. you are standing too straight up which is why that guy scored a single in the first match. lower your level a bit.