A&P Just got myself a point and shoot!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ///Mik3, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

So I've been wanting a point and shoot digital camera for several years now, but i never could get myself to pony up the money for one.

I got the sd870IS. I love it! I went w/ this one specifically for the wide angle lens. My main intention is to use it for normal every day snap shots, but one of the big drives to getting one was to use it while i'm out location scouting for future shoots. Since i shoot wide quite a bit, i definitely needed a point and shoot that would also allow for wide angle shots to record potential locations.

Image quality on this guy is awesome for such a small gadget. Videos look great too. I'm loving how handy this is going to be. I've already gone on a little accessories spree for it. Got a screen protector film, multiple sd cards, and a pouch for it already. :o

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

:cool: my wife bought a Nikon coolpic that is great for P&S. I like it because it's so slim I can put it in my pocket and forget that it's there but it does a remarkable job at taking pics.

3. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I've been thinking about replacing my SD1000 with a SD 870 IS. Should I do eet?

4. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

dude, definitely if you've got the money. The only thing the sd1000 has got going for it is its size and that the image quality is pretty close to models higher up in the line. Other than that though the sd1000 is a cheap camera for a reason.

To me, the sd1000 feels really cheap in your hands. It also has virtually no manual controls. I needed a wide angle lens which the sd1000 does not have. The 1000 doesn't have IS, which is pretty much a must on these digital point and shoots. Oh and the screen on the 870 is much nicer.

5. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

SD 1100 IS ftw

870 is nice but only if you MUST HAVE the wide angle.

6. life

life pure sex

Is wide angle like a panoramic mode? And what is IS?

I am thinking of getting a P&S (I don't own a camera:o) and don't know what to get.

7. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

that i did sir :big grin:

8. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

no panoramic mode is different. A wide angle just means you can get a wider view. Panoramic mode uses a wide angle lens and then crops the top and bottom to give you that "long" look.

IS stands for Image Stabilization, which is Canon's term for the technology that reduces/eliminates camera shake in low light conditions. Other brands have their own and call it different things. I think Nikon's is called VR which stands for Vibration Reduction or something like that

9. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I'd like to have the Canon G9 to carry around.

10. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

I would too. I was actually convinced i was gonna get one of those for a while, but later realized it's too big for what i want it for. I wanted a camera i can keep in my pocket everwhere i go. the G9 is JUST too big for that. Awesome point and shoot though, especially since they brought RAW back to the G series.

11. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

yeah one of the main things i like is the IS.

12. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

Well if all you're looking for is IS and you're happy w/ your sd1000 otherwise, there is the sd1100 IS. Essentially the same camera w/ a couple updates and added IS.

13. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Werd.

It is an awesome camera though. Bought my parents one for Christmas, after I got it, I wanted to keep it for myself. :o

I can agree with the size comment too. I'd also like something that would fit in a shirt pocket, yet yield great pics. Is that too much to ask? :)

14. ohknaks

ohknaks New Member

I just got one yesterday. It's a nice P&S for when the SLR is too large to carry around, but it's certainly not a small P&S.

15. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

Haha exactly, which is how i ended up w/ the 870. I feel it's a pretty good medium though. image quality (especially in the lower ISOs of course) is pleasantly surprising.