Just got my Vista discs in the mail.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jun 27, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Now all I have to do is convince myself to give it a try. I only have one computer at present, and only a single hard drive. (well, it's a RAID, but it's all hooked together anyway.) That said, I am getting kind of sick of having to circumvent Microsoft's anti-piracy janx in order to keep using the XP that was installed on my machine by my college, back before Microsoft got really hardassed about that kind of stuff.

So...if I were going to install Vista Beta 2, what kind of precautions should I take? My RAID controller emulates a standard IDE disk, so there's no risk there, but of course I'm relying on the RAID to protect all my gigabytes of files against disk failure so I don't have any decent backup device. I could do a full backup of my computer onto my new NAS box, because the NAS hard drive used to be in my computer, but I might kill myself before it finishes the backup.

How has Vista been lately? Fairly stable, or does it still have an irritating tendency to eat partitions alive? Should I wipe and rebuild, or will an upgrade work well enough? Are updates being released on a regular basis yet? And perhaps the biggest question of all...if I install Vista now, what are the chances that I'll have to wipe and reinstall when the final version comes out?

Computer specs follow:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 400MHz FSB
    2GB DDR2700
    150GB SATA RAID
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Pro Ultimate (50% factory overclocked)
    D-Link 802.11g transciever
    SB Audigy 2 ZX (or whatever the letters are for the fancier version of the card)
    Sony DVD±RW

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in terms of data integrity, vista is solid. However, it has crashed on me many times, so I cannot use it as a "daily" os.

You're machine will probably rank a "1" or "2" by vista's scale, and it will be usable, but quite slow, imo.

Its "ZS" on the card, btw ;)

In terms of wipe/reinstall when they go final, the chances are quite high that you will.

3. deusexaethera

1 or 2? Vista must be a beast compared to XP.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I downloaded the beta vista a week or so ago, and I've been debating installing it.
    But I wouldn't be able to tolerate having to do a reinstall to keep it.
    Looks like it's xp for a while for me.

6. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I installed it as a second OS on a 2.0 Celeron, 512mb, 80gb, 64mb video and in ran decent, so you're not gonna have any problems running it. After trying beta 2, I honestly can't wait for the final version to come out (I may actually buy it). Ironically, I'm saving up to buy a MacBook Pro.

7. deusexaethera

So here's an alternate approach; AMD never made dual-core Athlon XPs, but they did make dual-Athlon XP motherboards. I might decide to go nuts and buy a second Athlon XP 3000 and make a dualie out of my current setup sometime in the near future. Can I get any recommendations on good dual-XP boards? I don't care if they're obsolete as long as they take DDR400 and AGP 8x.

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I :love: my MBP

9. PrinzII

PrinzII New Member

I don't want to chance using it on my primary box (even though it can handle it). I may consider building another box as a "guinea pig."

10. nzwasp

nzwasp New Member

I got fed up with the microsoft anti piracy guff after accidently installing the 26/06/06 patches and so i just bought the software for the special price on their link.

Not bad though I think its $160 US for win xp pro and you get cd's and the key etc. In NZ it costs $750NZ for xp pro retail version. However we have to activate our software every 120 days or whenever we change the hardware :(

I may go to vista but Im thinking my AMD 2000XP with 1.5GB of memory won't handle it

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$160US is a ripoff. you can get it new for under $150, normally.

12. deusexaethera

You have to re-activate your Windows every 120 days? What kind of bullshit is that?

13. nzwasp

nzwasp New Member

NZ bullshit. Its the hardware changes that fuck me off - im always swapping out hardware in my pc. And most of the time activation doesnt work anyway so you have to ring Microsoft and do it over the phone.

14. deusexaethera

Microsoft is raping you kiwis. As far as the hard ware changes go, maybe your should buy all the nice shit you want all at once and install it all at once.

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm pretty sure they never made a dual xp with ddr400.

I had a Tyan MP board, and it only had ddr266.
    Those MP cpu's went to 2800, I belive. (mine were 2600's)
    After that they went to the Opterons for the dual cpu's.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you DEFINITELY do not want a SMP S462 board... that's pretty damn retarded.

17. deusexaethera

I DEFINITELY prefer using equipment I already have instead of buying new equipment. That is, as long as I can make everything fit. If Emmet is right (and I've seen the same 266FSB limit on Dual-Athlon motherboards myself), then it would be a step down for me to go from 400FSB to 266FSB. So I guess I'll just have to upgrade lock, stock, and barrel in a couple of years.

18. Clarity

Clarity New Member

DEFINITELY!

19. deusexaethera

Hush.

20. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Vista ran "ok" on my machine. 1.8amd, 768mb ram, 9700pro AIW 128mb video card... even though it scored a 2. The main problem I noticed, was when it came back from sleep mode, it was REAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY lethargic for about 2 minutes.