A&P Just got my Tamron 17-50 2.8

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Dec 16, 2006.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

It's sharp, color looks pretty good so far as well.

It also front focuses very badly @ or near 17mm (nearly unsable... I could not get a sharp picture of my roomate's face @ 17mm... front focuses worse than my Sigma 100-300 f4)

At 50mm most, but not all the effects of front focusing are gone.

It focuses faster than the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and of course the kit lens, but also focuses better in low light than the Tamron 28-75 even though they are the same aperature. (although it's front focusing so moot point)

It is in fact slightly wider than the kit lens, the difference is about 6 inches on all sides when focused on a wall 4.5 feet away (yeah, that's not a very accurate way to describe it, but it is wider)

I have not been able to test it outside in the sunlight because I didn't unpack it till 7:00 PM or so. I'll post pictures taken with the lens tomorrow.

For reference, I have used a 50 1.8, 75-300, 135L, 85 1.8, 17-55 2.8 IS, kit lens, and a tamron 28-75 all which focused correctly on this body. The sigma 100-300 is the only other lens I own that front focuses (but only slightly and only near the minimum focusing distance)

Also, I got my Giottos 9180 Tripod as well.... It's pretty nice. I hate the twist locks on it though (not because they are twist locks, but because they are not nearly as nice as the twist locks on the Giottos P-Pod I own. The legs are far more wobbly before you tighten them down, and even after tightening they are still more wobbly than my monopod.

HOWEVER, it's still quite stable. When I go to NYC and go to B&H I'll have the option to return it if I find myself not pleased with it by then.

2. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I have the 17-50mm Tamron for Nikon -- I think it's a very good lens for the price. Although I don't have that front-focusing issue either. It's pretty damn sharp at F2.8, and gets super tack sharp @ F/5.6. Contrast & Saturation is really good as well. It's sharp enough that I don't use the 18-70mm kit lens anymore b/c of it's slower F-stop.

Focusing speed is slower then my 18-70mm, but it's not that big of an issue.

For reference, I've used the Nikkor 50mm F1.8, 18-70 3.5-5.6, 70-210 4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8 VR, and this Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

test its focusing @ 17mm in good light.

Is it new? you can probably take it somewhere to have it serviced.

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Yeah, I'm about to walk around the neighborhood and take pictures in sunlight. It's freaking 72 (degrees) today. I can take it back to B&H over christmas because I'm going to NYC even though I bought it online.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

pics?