Just got my shipment confirmation for my i7 w/ 8GB of RAM...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Unknown User, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

Ordered Nov. 10th....Shipped Nov. 18th....Delivers by Nov. 23rd.

Btw, I got free expedited shipping by calling Apple the other day and saying that I'm upset by the delay in shipment.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Wow, you're cool. God forbid they have to put the machine together after fulfilling your order along with hundreds of others and ship it out 7 days later.

:ugh2:

3. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

Cool.. maybe mine will be soon. I wonder what the delay was on the i5's and i7's

4. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

Got my email this morning.. mines shipped.. will be here monday! =)

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

They don't keep any in stock?

6. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

It's a brand new model, they are just starting to ship.

Also, I don't understand why people pay for the extra ram when Apple marks it up so much. Your essentially paying a $200 upgrade for $80 worth of ram, and the ram doesn't even have an Apple logo on it!

7. tenplanescrashing

I'm sure they do, but instead of just pulling it off the shelf and shipping, they'll need to pull it down and open it up to make the necessary changes. If you've never worked in a fulfillment type job, it's not as easy as you think.

1. Sometimes it is just easier.
    2. If you need to take it in for service, they make you remove non-Apple ram

Sometimes, that extra $120 is worth the hassle.

8. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Didn't realize that 2 minute task of removing the ram form the new iMacs was worth $120, maybe I should open a store that provides that service for say $100, that way you still save $20!

Truth is that most people that buy Apple products pay the Apple Tax simply because of the name. Granted some things Apple does are worth the premium, but things like ram, their adapters, etc are simply over priced and not worth it.

9. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I got it for $180 w/ the edu discount. To me, it was worth it for the peace of mind since I don't want to have to order it from someplace else or have to take the machine into Apple for whatever reason and have them say it's the RAM.

Basically, paid an extra $100 to have them leave me the fook alone. Given the amount of time that I'll probably keep the machine (3-5 years), a $100 comes out to $2.77/month or $1.66/month for 5 years in peace of mind. :o

The $250 upgrade for the HDD to 2TB seems to be somewhat worth it also since it's not so easy to upgrade the HDD for some, but I plan on using external drives for storage so the 1TB is fine for me.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It can be a bitch to deal with user adde RAM when you bring the machine in. They always give you a hard time about it. If they have to send it in, they return the machine with the RAM taken out and put in a little bag. I'm not saying it's worth it to pay for the RAM from them, just that it's a pain when dealing with any repairs and 3rd party RAM.

People also need to realize that Apple isn't the only one that charges a premium for upgrading the RAM and hard drives in their machines. Dell, HP, and everyone else does the same thing.

Same applies for just about every other industry. You're always gonna pay less for parts from a 3rd party. Look at car parts from the stealership vs your local auto parts store.

11. tenplanescrashing

I didn't say it was the installation, I said it was the dealing with Apple if you had to take it in for service. As The Weasel said, anytime you take one in for service and there is 3rd party RAM, they immediately stop there and refuse to continue until it has been removed.

People pay for things like this for the peace of mind too. Not everyone needs to find the cheapest way to purchase things.

12. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

The wife is going to kill me....I just got a 24" LED Cinema Display at the Apple Refurb store :o