Just got my self a pcmcia wireless lan card thingy for the laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Evil_Gemini, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Evil_Gemini

Evil_Gemini New Member

So, is their anything cool i can do with it ?

I dont have a wireless modem so i can use the net on it, but is their anything else i can do wih it ?

I downloaded a program called netstumbler and its meant to look for wireless networks and connects to them.

I tired it and it found one but was a very weak signal :(

So, anyone no of anything cool i can do ?

This might sound stupid, but is it possible to get a program to turn my laptop into a gps ?

Im a noob when i comes to wireless :wiggle:

2. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

GPS, not that I'm aware of, the normal wireless card that are out there don't have anyway of sending a signal to the satelites that use gps, so not gonna happen.

Uhh as far as cool stuff you can do, you can use hotspots anywhere in you area, which can be a lot if you live in a city area such as chicago,ny,la,etc

3. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Nope, if you have broadband though might as well invest in a wireless router.

4. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

GPS doesn't work by sending signals, it receives signals from geosynchronous satellites and then triangulates a vector to determine your location. However, your wireless card can't even do that.

Just buy a wireless router from Buy.com or somewhere for $20 and then you'll have your own wireless hotspot. :bigthumb: