Just got my first Vista system...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Aug 3, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Anyone have any tips or anything for me? I've never used Vista until now so im gunna have to mess around with it until i figure out some of the features i suppose...

Dell Inspiron 1720
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7700, 2.4GHz, 800Mhz, 4M L2 Cache
    2GB, DDR2, 667MHz
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600
    160G 5400RPM SATA hd
    17.0 inch Wide Screen

What do u guys think??

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Looks good

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my cousin bought a vista desktop a little while ago. it was like an athlon x2 4000+, gig of ram...it ran like crap, it had so much bloatware on it, that it literally takes 5 mins to boot, before the HD light turns off. half of what he wanted me to install on it, wasn't compatible. even his wifi adapter that says vista compatible, but has no vista drivers on the cd...when you goto the manufacturer's website, as the included card instructed me, they said they are working on the drivers for vista. wow

i acquired vista and put it on my amd athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of ram, it runs decently, lots better than my cousin's. has some cool features, but testing out 720p HD .mkv files revealed that it wasn't as good as xp pro. i'm guessing it has to do with my ram and video card and how much of each the system hogs

5. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

That should run it fine, but I don't particularly like the OS. Much prefer XP at this stage.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I stuck with XP and think many are doing so with me, i dislike Vista a lot , for me the general consensus is that the bigger program is, the more worse it is programmed. People used to program wonderfull things like transport coaster tycoon only using up a few kb's and it runs like a train, how come Vista needs to suck up 3/4 th of your computers memory just to run and is incompatible with zomg so many programs? = because its trash and flawed.

7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

:hsugh:
    Vista is not actually using up that 700 mb of ram. It allocates memory differently than XP does.

And performance for programs that work with vista is generally fine. I can sit there and run a game, or photoshop, or whatever, and crank everything up, for have a thousand action long history file, using up 700+ mb of ram just in that, and everything still runs fine.

8. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

thanks for al the replies so far they're very helpful :).

the computer does seem a bit sluggsh, especially startup, and im assuming that is due to a combo of vista and all of dell's useless programs that are pre installed....should i just reformat and install xp pro? or is there any way to delete all of the dell crap off of the laptop and keep vista?

9. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

Turn off UAC. It'll bother you to no end...

10. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

Download CCleaner, defrag, etc.

11. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

UAC?

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno man, that machine could run XP twice as fast as Vista. I'm still waiting for Vista to get service-packed.

13. Sexual Vanilla

Just upgraded my XP system to Vista (free upgrade). Couldn't be happier. Extremely smooth and visually appealing UI, tons of new features and everything is working as it should.

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What are the new features that catch your eye? I have yet to see any that I care about, but I'm trying to stay open-minded.

15. Sexual Vanilla

As far as UI goes, the visuals are about as smooth as they come...very OSX-ish. Lots of cool transparency effects, and the side bar is nifty as well. Then again...I'm a graphic whore, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

As far as functionality, networking (and discovery of networked devices) is extremely simple...a simple click of a button will display all of the devices that are connected to your LAN (including the router), and if you click on each, it will display what each device has to offer to the network.

The UAC can be a bit annoying, but it can be disabled and it only appears when you're trying to make changes to the system itself.

I'll post more as I become more familiar with it.

16. Sexual Vanilla

Vista will rate your system based on its current specs and issue a "grade"

[​IMG]

Many of the changes/additions are designed more for convenience, that, in all honesty, should have been included in XP. For example, there is the "Snipping Tool," which allows a user to draw a box around any portion of the screen and save it as an image (essentially print screen for dummies).

17. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i'm running a duron 2400+, 1.5 gb ddr, on a 20 gb partition with an old ti 4200, and it runs just fine. aero doens't run, but thats just superfluous pretty stuff.

my favorite features are:
    volume mixer - adjust volume for each program independently
    explorer view by default
    indexed search
    easy access to a centralized default program for file types
    superior task manager
    the network access is a lot smoother
    snipping tool

these are improvementes i've found in the last 72 hours since i installed it. and it runs just as fast as XP as far as i can tell. maybe its just because aero is off and htat is the huge system hog, but i don't have any problems on my mediocre graphics and processor