Just got my first mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [InsideOperations], Mar 2, 2005.

1. I just got my first mac today.

PowerBook
    1.5GHz G4
    512MB DDR333
    80GB Ultra ATA
    Super Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB

So far I love it. One of the first things I noticed is how simple it is to install things and how organized it keeps everything. I have only used OS X [font=&quot]minimally[/font] in the past but I liked what I saw. I've been a long time Windows user that has dabbled in Linux (loved it...most of the time). So far, OS X is most of the things about Linux I like with a few of the problems fixed.

One question I do have, it says in the manual to fully charge the batter first, then use the batter untill it dies. This will calibrate the battery. I have done that (well, am doing that now), but, after that is done, does it really matter when or how long I have it plugged into the wall? Will using the batter and then plugging it in hurt the battery or should I let it run down then charge back up fully a lot?

2. MBC

MBC Guest

:bigthumb: welcom to the club

I never took care of my battery, and I still got the original from my 98 PB Wallstreet and my 01 ibook :big grin:

3. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I'm buying my Powerbook this weekend. :bigthumb:

4. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

yeah me too, 12" pb with 768 ram and 100 gb hd, gotta order online

anyone using the financing?

5. Brian

Brian New Member

i never did that bettery thing on my powerbook :eek3: can i still calibrate it?

i never used osx before in my life and hated all apple computers before getting it :)
    i had faith in u guys :)

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i calibrated it once when i got it, then took it out. i leave it plugged into the wall with the battery out when im at home and pop in the battery when i leave

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

welcome!

your best bet would be to use the battery until it dies. charge it til it is fully charged and do it again. after that second charge, you should be fine.

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

We calibrated my GF's and that thing lasts forever.

9. So far, I love my new mac. There are a few things that I'm getting used to, but nothing major. One of my only big problems is with my ipod. Right now, I am keeping all my music in it's own folder, organize manualy in folders by artist/album. I have not let itunes organize/move anything into it's own folder for fear of what it might do to it. Could someone enlighten me as to exactly what it does do? Will it reorganize the folders, rename the files, or am I just being paranoid? What are the advantages/disadvantages to letting itunes take care of everything?

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

iTunes won't do anything to your files. Place your music in your Music folder then drag and drop them into the Library of iTunes. Then when you are ready to update your iPod, just drag the files from the Library to the iTunes playlist and thats it. But make sure you create a playlist on your iPod (or just create one in iTunes then drag the entire playlist to your iPod).

11. decibel

decibel Guest

CONGRATS!:hsd:

12. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Lucky you. Mine lasts only for about 5 hours at the max...

13. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I did when I bought mine. Got it payed off when the first bill came. :hs: Had extra from my financial aid and so it worked out perfectly. :o :hsd: