GUN Just got my Fenix flashlight.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deusexaethera, Jan 16, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This thing is stupid bright. It uses the same Cree Q5 LED as the cheap light in this thread...http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4070826...though it is more expensive. I bet it's better-built, though -- type-3 milspec hard anodizing, orange-peel reflector (for smoother beam), and all that shit. It's also smaller than that other light; for anyone familiar with the Arc AAA, it's the same length, only wider. 180 lumens max.

click me => [​IMG]

At $50, I'd be seriously tempted to buy a couple more, but I know LEDs will be twice as bright in a year.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

What's the runtime on it?

edit: nevermind

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

My P3D has been carried almost daily for well over a year. Fenix puts out a good light IMO, I have no regrets paying a little bit more than whatever is on dealextreeme.

4. deusexaethera

There's only one thing that I'm worried about, and it's only a potential concern: the contact with the negative terminal of the battery is established by the edges of the circuit board on the back of the lamp, and it's screwed-down until it contacts the inside of the battery housing. I'm concerned that the gold coating on the edges of the circuit board might wear away given enough time, but I have nothing more than worst-case speculation to go on.

I do think the Arc AAA has a more robust system consisting of a foam spring that is compressed until the battery can touch a steel stud in the base of the battery housing, but the Arc AAA doesn't get anywhere near as bright as this mofo does. In lieu of starting my own flashlight company, I'll take what I can get.

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

*sigh*
    well, you've gone and done it
    you've pushed me over the edge

I was looking at that exact same light, and thanks to you + the fact that I have a positive balance in my paypal account, I've gone and ordered that light!
    damn it!

6. deusexaethera

Do yourself a favor and resist the urge to turn it on pointed at your face. I've had some bright LED flashlights, but this is seriously way too bright to do that.

7. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

b-b-but how will i know if it's bright enough to blind my neighbors while i steal their mail?

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I got a 700lumen led that I did that with on strobe mode. LOL i couldnt see shit

9. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

quoting for posterity

10. deusexaethera

If you're using it to steal mail, then it must be nighttime, and I can guarantee it will blind them. It blinded me in the middle of the day.

11. deusexaethera

:rofl: Oops.

I can't believe they can pump so much juice through a single LED nowadays. When I got my first Arc AAA in 2001, I knew the technology was going to get a lot better, but 350x in seven years? Shit, 700 lumens is enough to light up a small room.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

70 will light up a small room. 700 would light up a house sized room :rofl:

13. deusexaethera

Your average 75-watt lightbulb outputs 1100-1200 lumens. 700 is certainly bright when focused, but it doesn't beat a table lamp for general illumination.

That being said, I got my dad a 2x AA Maglite LED flashlight for Christmas, and if you remove the head and expose the LED, it can provide usable (but not bright) lighting for an entire room. Makes a good, cheap, modern replacement for a candle.

14. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

I can't believe people still use candles for emergency lighting needs. Just buy a lantern!
    When hurricane Ike came through here, I used my crank-lantern/radio combo to provide more than enough light at night! There was no fire/fume hazard, and I had an 'infinite' amount of light (so long as I kept cranking!)
    lanterns are under-rated, imo. that's why I threw in the extra $5 for the lantern accessory when I ordered last night

15. deusexaethera

I was considering getting the diffuser for my P1D. Let me know if it actually works well, or if it still lets most of the light shoot up at the ceiling.

I don't think most people do use candles for emergency light. However, they are convenient because they burn a long time, don't use liquid fuel, and require no equipment to use -- just a layer of aluminum foil wrapped around it to catch drips. Even your crank lantern can't beat that for size.

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

crank lantern lasts forever

only fuel needed is whatever your body can metabolize- versatility ftw

aluminum foil = equipment
    crank lantern is self contained

yes it can, because on top of all that, the lantern isn't a fire hazard

anyways, i have reason to believe my light will arrive today, which means i just have to go home sick
    >_>
    <_<

17. deusexaethera

All that is true, but I don't have to service a candle before it will provide me with light. Hit it with a match to turn it on, hit it with two wet fingertips to turn it off. And it runs for hours without needing anything recharged, replaced, or cranked.

18. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I love my Fenix lights

19. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

deus,
    better than either of the options we've discussed so far is a good fenix flashlight, and a diffuser!
    small, no firehazard, no cranking, lasts as long as you've got spare batteries (longer run time per unit volume than candles, and longer run time per unit work for crank lanterns!)

>_>
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=110835706
    <_<

20. deusexaethera

Good to know. It sounded like they did their homework when they made the diffuser.

This will be my next buy, once I've paid this month's CC bills. I've spent enough money on the Chinese for now.

[​IMG]

This is the Arc6, made by Arc Flashlight LLC. I bought their very first AAA flashlight back in 2001 and they've been my main source for flashlights ever since. I'm kinda kicking myself for losing the newer, brighter ArcAAA I bought from them in 2006, because I heard the newer ones don't have the same quality control. But the Arc6 is made by a different supplier, and it looks about as good as anything you can get. It's actually designed for the user to be able to go in and replace the LED with something brighter in the future, which instantly makes it cost less over the long-run than buying a new flashlight every few years.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009