Just got my computer parts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Dec 24, 2004.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Just received all my parts. It's about a million times more difficult to assemble than I had anticipated though. The manuals refer to things that I can't find and I'm having an impossible time even figuring out how to start.

Does anyone know a really good guide with pictures that could help someone who's never setup a computer before do it?

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Don't be intimidated, the most confusing part of the whole setup will probably be the LED's to hook up with the motherboard (at least it is with me), let me know what you need.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

4. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

The first thing I should do is screw in the motherboard or change the back panel thing where the mouse plugs in?

when i screw the motherboard in, should I use the long thing screws and screw it into the brass studs?

is 4 screws enough?

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Could anyone help me with this:

The back panel with the usb/mouse/ plugs etc. has these little bendy arms on it, and does the motherboard. How am I supposed to bend them to make them fit with the motherboard?

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I put mine together and it was pretty damn easy. Everything pretty much only fits where it goes. The only confusing part like someone else said, is the LED and USB and Audio jack jumpers from the front of the case to the mobo - just follow your mobo diagram, other than that it was pretty simple, dont forget to set your drives to Master/Slave etc., i noticed after i put mine together that the setting were all different out of the box. And you can punch out that chrome back panel if it doesnt have the holes for your mobo. You should have gotten one for your mobo in the mobo box that you can replace that one with in the back of your computer.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The way I build a system:

Remove motherboard, cpu, HSF (if seperate), and memory from boxes. Inspect for physical damage. Install CPU into motherboard. Install HSF. Install memory.

Remove PSU from box and video card from box (if no on-board video is present). Place motherboard on TOP of motherboard box (to elevate and create clearance underneath. Install video card, and connect 20 (or 22) pin ATX and 4 (or 6) pin Aux connectors. Plug power supply into wall, and make sure PSU switch is in the On (I) position. Use a screwdriver to short the two power pins breifly, until HSF spins. Remove screwdriver. Ensure system posts. If it doesn't, check things over, and determine the cause. Now is an easy time if you have to return a major component -- and you don't have to unmount the mobo if that's the culprit. It's also easier to mount the cpu when the mobo is out. In fact, some HSF's (such as the new LGA-775 Zalman) require it.

Once that's working, switch the PSU off, and disconnect it and the video card. Open your case and screw in the brass standoffs. One for every hole that lines up with your motherboard. Do *NOT* install extras that do not line up with holes. Sometimes a case will have one where it shouldn't be, and you must remove it. Failure to remove them will likely short out your motherboard causing unwelcomed smells and frustration.

I attach the front panel headers before I mount the board. I find it easier than jamming my big hands into the crevices when it's mounted. Once that's in, pop out the stock backpanel, and insert the one that came with the motherboard. They are inserted from the inside, and pressure from the motherboard will help keep it attached.

Insert the motherboard, being sure that every hole has a standoff, and that no additional standoffs are present. Screw them down using the appropriate screws. Some cases use thin-threads, others use course-threads. Don't use a thin-thread in a course-thread standoff, otherwise you'll have a hard time getting it out. I test it before I start screwing em in.

Now install your hard drives. This differs on a per-case basis, but I bet you can figure it out. I then install the optical drives and power supply. Perform your cable routing and make note if your video or sound cards need power, because you'll want to run that to them now. Now install your video card and other expansion cards. Use zip ties to secure cables so that they do not move and hit fans, vital components, or block airflow.

Plug your monitor, keyboard, and mouse in and turn it on... Everything should be ready to install your OS.

8. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

How do I set the proper bus frequency and multiple for my processor?

I have an athlon 64 3200+

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what motherboard? Pretty much all of them should do that automatically.

10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

Abit Av8 K8t800 Athlon64 S939 Motherboard

Thanks for the help everyone. I installed the CPU/cpufan, ram, mb so far :wiggle:

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If the motherboard has 20 holes for screws, then you use 20 screws. If it has 2 screw holes then you use 2 screws. Get the idea?

12. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

If I have 1 IDE cable, a HDD, and a DVD burner, what do I set to slave/master?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

get another cable and have both set to master.

the A8V should come with 2 80pin cables and 1 40-pin cable.

putting an optical drive and a hard drive on the same cable will hurt your performance.

14. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

weird. I only got 1 of each cable.

I think i'm almost ready to set it up. Just installing the harddriver.

After that I'll just connect all the white ps/black power plugs so each piece has power.

do I need to set the bus/multiple for this mb? and is there anything else I need to do before turning it on?

15. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

You don't have to set anything for the processor (bus speed, etc). The motherboard sets it automatically. I built a computer 2 weeks ago using the same motherboard. The motherboards manual should explain EVERYTHING you would need to know, besides the BIOS configuration.

16. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I've set everything up and everything seems to be working perfectly fine.

One problem: The video card is really really loud with its fan. I am sitting a few feet away and I can hear it whizzing away quite loudly. Is it possible it's just a loud fan on the xfx 6600 GT?