Just got my bloodwork back v.high bad cholesterol low good cholesterol

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Deevan, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

I've cut out ground beef and pretty much anything fried, along with cutting down on my intake of different types of nuts.

I'm really sick of salmon - what else is good to keep the good stuff up without sacrificing protein?

2. Drewski

Drewski New Member

nothing wrong with nuts, if eaten in moderation

up your fibre intake, that helps a ton.

3. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

My doc told me expressly to lay off the cashews... Maybe I'll switch to almonds...

4. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

no-flush niacin before bed helps raise good cholesterol.

5. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

EFAs, a high fibre diet, lots of water and reducing your body fat (if it is high) will all help

6. synthetic

synthetic New Member

flushing niacin ftw ... 500mg a day and over all will be lowered 16% in a month

7. yamaha_rgx

yamaha_rgx Guest

Hm, that's odd because cashews are mostly oleic acid, same fat that is in olive oil...it's supposed to raise your good cholesterol and lower your bad. But he would obviously know better then I would.

8. Aradia

Aradia New Member

Avocado's have healthy ammt of good fats...mmmmm.....guacamole'

he he

9. methusala

methusala New Member

Onions are great for raising HDL.

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Stay away from the redmeat for the most part and the fried foods.. like you said. If you are going to eat red meat just get some good stuff like the 95% lean sirloin ground beef. A bit more expensive, but definitely worth it.

Other things you can do is:
    Take in more fiber. Get some fibercon or something and take 2 tablespoons a day.
    Start taking fish oil pills.
    Drink a lot of water.

Also, the reason your Doc said to stay off the cashews is because they are the most "unhealthy" of the nuts. I read in Mens Health that they contain the highest amount of carbohydrates and should be the least eaten nut in your diet.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Dave Tate had to do lots of cardio to control his cholesterol levels even though his diet was on par (even though he does other things...).

12. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

This seems to be a popular suggestion... Any particular brands I should look for/stay away from? I see the solaray version is around 22/bottle. 500mg is a good dose?

:bowdown: I love F/N, so much good info.:hsd:

13. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

So for the EFAs, are Flaxseed capsules good enough? I've never tried the oil by itself but the thought kinda creeps me out. :noes:

14. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

I don't mind avocados and I do like onions. Didn't realize they had HDL.

15. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Good advice. Thanks. :bowdown:

If I do splurge into fried foods, whats the best oil to fry them in?

And for the Fish Oil pills - take those along with Flaxseed or no?

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

What you need is EPA/DHA that's found in fish, not ALA found in plant sources because it is converted poorly to EPA/DHA by the body. Ground flax seed is not so bad for cooking or to add both fats and fiber but I wouldn't rely on that to get EFAs.

17. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

look, your cholesterol levels are mostly dictated by liver cholesterol production, not dietary cholesterol intake. However, dietary saturated fats will substantially increase cholesterol levels, so those need to be taken out. Additionally, cholesterol levels often have little to do with your weight.

Foods/supps that will help lower bad and raise good cholesterol:
    (1) Fish oil... should be taking 6-12g/day of the 180 epa/120 dha concentration... if you get the stuff thats more concentrated, you can take less. In addition, while the more concentrated stuff is more expensive, it also has less saturated fat per dose.
    (2) Sesamin... excellent supp for promoting good lipid profiles, and a decent anti-inflammatory. Sesamin is a naturally occuring lignan found in sesamie seeds, and it may be why east asians dont get heart disease very often.
    (3) Green Tea Extract (EGCG is the active)... an excellent anti-oxidant (100x stronger than vit c), as well as promotes good lipid profile. EGCG is sensitive to first-pass degredation during absorbtion, so I think you need 250 or 500mg EGCG per dose for resuts, i cant remember the exact number. Take care to pick up green tea supps with 50% EGCG, not the much weaker crap.
    (4) Niacin - Oral, extended release niacin is used by doctors at 2000mg/day to reduce LDL and increase HDL. However, at this level, you must have hepatic function assessed monthly by a doctor, as niacin is toxic to the liver in large doses. Smaller amounts are safer and can help, I'd start out at 500mg every 12 hours or so. It can make you throw up, so take with food. (edit - check these numbers, i'd hate for you to end up in the hospital cause i mix up my dosages)
    (5) Soluble fiber - Does two very good things. First, it lowers the GI of pretty much any meal, making you feel full longer and preventing shit from being stored as fat. Secondly, it causes the liver to release more bile into the small intestine. Bile is produced in the liver through the conversion of cholesterol, so in effect, the fiber helps you directly lower blood cholesterol levels. It also keeps you really regular, and people who get enough fiber a day (like 10% of the population) are at much lower risk of colon cancer. Benefiber is an excellent brand - that shit dissolves completely, has no taste or texture, and you can add it to any food or drink with the exception of carbonated drinks. I add a little to everything. Taking too much soluble fiber a day will have a laxative effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.