GUN Just got my 1st Gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Robb, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Bought a Walther P22 today, have to wait until Thursday to pick it up. I hear the gun likes hot ammo, gonna pick up some winchester super x's that i saw they had. Cant wait to go shoot it. YAY

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Good luck. If you have problems, let me know. I have a nice long thread ready to cut and paste that has a few fixes in it...

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

This is cut and pasted from some comments I have made in the past about the P22:

I notice that a lot of people here have questions or comments about the Walther P22. Most stem from wanting to put a suppressor on one and some are just about reliabiltiy in general.

I thought I would take some time and chime in so I could maybe broaden your outlook towards the pistol and just give a little personal insight. Maybe after you get done, you can see if the P22 is a pistol you really want to go with or without...

I have a P22. Actually, I am on my 2nd. The first one had about 1200 rounds though it and then broke. What went wrong, I dunno; S&W didn't say when I sent it in. I just know the trigger pull went to about #35 and then just wouldn't go bang any more. Also, one of the white inserts in the rear sight fell out. Well, back to S&W it went for servicing. They replaced it because they said it was FUBAR. So, I got my new one, and guess what, not too great either.

The thing won't eat bulk ammo. The 550 count boxes are a thing of the past with a P22. The Rugers will eat that stuff all day long.

The P22 needs Velocitors, CCI Stingers, or other hot, expensive stuff. IMHO, I shoot a .22 because it is inexpensive. When I want to shoot a P22, it becomes expensive.

Well, I must say that I did find a cure. In an attempt to fix my P22, I filed down the hammer to smooth up cycling. The reason you need the hot stuff is because the slide has a problem cycling and depressing the hammer to cock it again. The cheap ammo isn't strong enough to give the gun a full cycle. Well, to fix this, I took some metal off the hammer. PROBLEM -- I removed a hair too much and turned the gun into a DOA pistol. I also cut one coil from the recoil spring. The gun worked better, and would even do better on bulk ammo, but the DOA pissed me off.

So, a call to S&W got me going again. $21 for a new hammer. I had to replace it myself with no instructions. I took the gun apart 100% and replaced the hammer. In doing so, I figured out exaclty how this thing worked. Indeed, the hammer spring is WAY too tight! I also noticed that the hammer hooks could use some buffing out to give a little bit of a better pull.

HERE IS WHERE YOUR PROBLEMS ARE COMING FROM: The hammer spring is TOO tight. The gun fires and bulk ammo doesn't have enough juice to cycle the slide back fully to eject a spent case or cycle a fresh round. You are getting half-cycles because the hammer spring is too tight. For a fix, lemme suggest this -- when your gun is not in use, leave it cocked in the safe. This will wear down that spring a little and make your gun work better in the long run. There is no point of that spring being that tight! Wear it down, and be able to shoot bulk ammo again!

Oh, and you may even need to open the chamber up just a hair. I noticed that with Winchester bulk ammo, the lead is exposed (no copper coating) and this can give the gun some feeding problems. To do this, disassemble and get a Dremel and a conical grinding stone and bump, and I mean bump the rough edges of the chamber. This will give more reliable feeding. If you don't have a Dremel, then just buy the stone and hand turn it yourself. It doesn't take much to fix this problem. But, running back over this with some polishing compound at high speed does help...

Good luck. Prayers are sent your way...

In an attempt to like my P22 again, I am about to toss a lot of money into the new camo frame, a Walther scope, a tactical scope mount, a 5" barrel, and sometime after Christmas, a suppressor. After all that gets done, I may be happy with it. If the suppressor doesn't work for the P22, I'll just thread my 10/22 I guess...

Update to previous posting: I got mine running right and did sink the money into the gun and could not be happier. Here is my gun now -- and it eats EVERYTHING!!!

[​IMG]

4. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

that would be cool if it was 9mm. :o

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:bigthumb:

6. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

How does the supressor work? And what kind did you go with?

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Haven't gotten it yet. I've been too busy buying other guns. May get it later on; dunno though...

8. Robb

Robb Guest

Took her out today to shoot, only shot 40 rounds
    10-12 jams
    1 stovepipe
    1 FTF

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. Trouser Trout

Trouser Trout OT Supporter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: