GUN Just got licensed! Now Want to learn to shoot etc.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cheezoos, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Cheezoos

Cheezoos New Member

Hey Finally received my Firearms license in BC Canada for both restricted and non-restricted.

Anyone have any knowledge in what gun to practice shooting? And also where to go to learn the proper techniques?

Basically looking for advice.

Additional info: Total newb in guns. Only shot at .22 in Aircadets Once.

2. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Go .50BMG or go home.

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I'd start with a .22LR handgun/pistol to learn basics then work up. All that jazz.

4. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

10mm. :noes:

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

What is the analogue of the NRA in Canada? :dunno:

Find out what the major firearm advocacy group is in Canada and give them a call. I imagine there has to be something similar to NRA "first steps" introductory classes available somewhere up there.

I'll see some Canadian shooters tomorrow at our USPSA match... if I remember I'll ask what they'd recommend....

6. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I just did a google search and found this place - looks pretty cool - there's probably other ranges nearer to you though.

http://www.scmra.ca/E/

As for learning techniques, easiest thing is to either get some friends to help you or I've found that most ranges have classes for beginners.

7. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

if you are completely new to guns in general i would start with a .22 to learn the basics. after you get the hang of it, i would suggest a 9mm if you go the handgun route.

8. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I have a regimen that I have set many shooters on, if they go the .22 rifle route. I start them with basics on sight picture, adjusting the sights instead of their aim, breathing, trigger sqeeze and practice. The regimen involves starting out at 25M. When you can get a touching group at the bench, then move to prone, sitting, then standing. Repeat for 50M, 75M, then 100M. Some people move up through the steps faster than others, some never get past certain stages. Lots of my friends and family have followed this method, some get through stages faster than others, some never get there but learn a ton on the way regardless.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Find a teacher to give you some lessons. There's no reason to spend money on a gun and ammo and just expect it to come to you because you're on the range.