GUN Just got done installing my gun cabinet *Pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Finally got done installing the light in my cabinet and got it all put together
    What d'ya guys think? :wavey:

All things I used in this cabinet were bought from WalMart except for a few things like screws and stuff.
    Sentinel 10 gun cabinet - $80
    Sentinel handgun safe - $20
    12'' fluorescent light - $9
    Adhesive hooks - Bulldog 8 pk - $2
    Automotive wire tubing 6 ft - $2.50
    Female/female crimpings
    Heat shrink tubing
    Green adhesive feldt
    Black adhesive foam

Lined handgun safe with feldt
    Used foam to shim the cabinet door so it doesnt rattle
    Drilled another 4 holes in the bottom of safe and 6 matching holes in top of cabinet. Used bolts, washers, and nuts to attach safe.

Installed the 12'' light using the 2 existing holes in the shelf bottom.
    Drilled hole in back of cabinet just below shelf. Insterted a rubber grommet (got a pack of em a few years ago at Radioshack)
    Cut light cord and fed other end into cabinet. Then crimped on tight, heat shrank each wire, and then heat shrank both together. Covered with electrical tape. The covered with wire tubing.
    Stuck adhesive hooks on underside of shelf and zip tied the cord on tight.

Cabinet is kinda small for supposedly holding 10 guns. Sure it can hold 10, but only if they are stock 10/22s or something smaller. Shotguns take up space in there quickly. And forget trying to put more than a couple scoped rifles in there since you have to stick them diagonal in the corner.
    Oh, and the front irons on my ar15 touch the wall of the cabinet before the barrel touches the foam rest, so I had to lay it diagonal in the corner.
    Not too bad for my $140 altogether

Still have A LOT of ammo loose too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Looks just like my cabinet only mine is stackon, otherwise they are identical, and yeah, looks good

4. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

ammo in safe = no more guns if exposed to high heat/fire

5. FX2000

FX2000 Active Member

Great job, it looks great man but...

Pabst Blue Ribbon?

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

hrm... I never thought of that. I know a bunch of people with ammo in their safe too.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I store my ammo in one of those sentry fire resistant safes you can get at walmart.

granted I currently do not have a gun safe for the guns.

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

If high heat and fire are applied to the safe, I'm not really worried about the effects of ammo cook off on my guns, now am I? The guns are already fucked. :uh:

9. BigBadJohn

Found it in my basement :dunno:

Oh, and I figure a fire will destroy any guns in there anyways. Not to mention I store a few thousand rounds of ammo right beside the cabinet also.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

my safe says 1250 for 45 mintues and the insides got to 334. Is that hot enough to cook off ammo, but not hot enough to damage the weapons? That'd be the only thing I'm worried about - if the guns would have been ok if the ammo hadn't had cooked off.

11. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Looks good. :cool:

12. Unite My Hatred

Unite My Hatred Active Member

13. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Not. Ammo not in a barrel just pops.

14. BigBadJohn

Im gonna listen to this man cause of his experience not to mention all the great guns he owns :bigthumb:

15. ElChupacabra

Simple physics. In a gun, the path of least resistance is down the barrel. Some energy is absorbed in the recoiling mech and the recoil you soak up. Absent a barrel, the path of least resistance can be right through the side of the brass. I've had rounds not chamber in an AM180 and being open bolt, still go off. They pop and the bullet stayed in the case, just a hole in the side of the case. Without a barrel, the case and the bullet are going to seperate at the same rate of speed, not one going and one sitting, plus, as soon as there is a gap, all the energy is gone, not being contained between the bullet and the breech face.

16. ElChupacabra

For that matter, pour a pound of smokeless on the ground and drop a match on it. A box of match heads makes a bigger, quicker fire.

17. 993kgt

I sat next to the foundation of a close friends house and watched what was left of the house burn in the hole the basement was in. He had two gun safes down there, and the fire had started around 8am that morning, it was still burning and smoldering by sundown, and every couple of seconds you could hear another round go off in the safe. After all was cool, they got the safe open, and the guns (all hunting rifles/shotguns) were all destroyed from the ammo that went off.

So, having said that, I'm not an expert in physics or any type of CSI major, nor do I profess to be, but my ammo will be kept in seperate compartments.

Also consider, some leave their guns loaded, one of the shotguns that had three in the tube was absolutely blown to splinters, the rest just had debris and fragmentation all over them.

18. 993kgt

umm? you're saying that the wall of a casing is a path of less resistance to that of simply unseating the round? okay...clearly you are a fucking idiot

You are describing "weak" brass due to overusage/overreloading, its also called case splitting. That is not the same as throwing a live round into an inferno

You can prove me wrong, with your theories, by building a campfire, getting a video camera, and placing a few boxes of ammo in the fire. I'm sure you'd gladly stand in proximity (10ft should do it) to prove yourself correct.

dumbass

19. ElChupacabra

Yes, .22lr brass gets reused a lot. You can throw names around all you want, since in the last 2 days, that is all I've seen you do. Personally, I couldn't care less what your opinion is. Unlike you, I do have some book learnin'. FWIW, I have been present when a handfull of .22 was thrown in a small fire pit made from a 21" truck wheel. No one was harmed when it went off, and no, I didn't do it.

20. ElChupacabra

Keep in mind, bullets don't accellerate after they leave the barrel, only in the barrel, hence shorter barrels having lower velocities. When there is no barrel, where is the velocity going to come from? They are black cats (firecrackers) when they are not in a barrel. As soon as the bullet is uncorked, velocity is decreasing because the energy is no longer behind the bullet, as well as the case moving away faster than the bullet due to the mass and inertial difference between the brass and bullet.

21. BigBadJohn

Okay. This arguemnt has gone on long enough...

.... without the use of this smilie :gfight:

;)

22. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot9.htm

23. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Or maybe the fact that it was in a fire for 10+ hrs may have destroyed the guns.

24. 993kgt

nah i saw the guns, it wasn't heat damage necessarily, it was mostly that the stocks and what not were "torn up", he had one of the guns re-blued and with a new stock it made it out okay

i'm not even going to dignify the asshat who mentioned reloading .22LR and applying this scenario to the smallest/lightest packed rounds possible. Throw a case of 300win or 30-06 in the fire and stand around and laugh, those bullets are seated a good bit firmer in the neck of the case than a fucking .22LR

25. 993kgt

yes, provide the "relief" for the pressure by piercing the side of the case with a round, and i'm sure it will only burn off the powder and expand the primer, this is clearly not the same scenario as throwing a live round into a fire

you people really suck at logical thinking