GUN Just got back from the range (pics to come in a bit)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Jul 15, 2007.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Just like last time, the damn cheap Remington 230gr ($49 for 250) gave me FTEs about every three shots. So after 2-3 mags of that I went back to Blazer aluminum. No problems with that stuff. 3 boxes. Then I went to the range desk and bought some Blazer Brass. Same story as the Remington. :wtf:
    Finished off with 1 mag of Hydra-Shok just to make sure that stuff still fed okay. It did.

Last time when the Remington gave me trouble, I figured maybe it was just because I had already put 4 boxes of Blazer through and maybe the gun was a little dirty. But now I'm thinking something else is up.

I have a relatively new extended Wilson extractor in this thing so I am at a loss to explain it. (Colt 1911.) Ideas welcome.

Edit: Now with pics! (I highlighted the holes in PS so they'd show up better.)

These went rather well, as one would expect at 5 yards. Left target I took my time, right target I went a little faster. Several mags in each target. 3-4?
    [​IMG]

Not quite as good. Again, left was slow, right was faster.
    [​IMG]

Hm. He's still having a bad day at 15 yards but my groupings are not as good. This is taking my time again.
    [​IMG]

I have M9 requal this week so I was practicing for it. All these were fired as sets of three. 36 rounds per target.

* Weapon on table in front of me, condition 1.
    * Pick up weapon (no holster yet), disengage safety, 2 to the chest, 1 to the head. (As fast as I felt comfortable.)
    * Reengage safety, return weapon to table.

I fired 4 sets of 3 shots at 5, 10, and 23 yards. (The max at the indoor range, else I would've done 25 yards.)
    [​IMG]

Second target not as good. I noticed I have been a smidge low and right on all the targets so I tried to compensate a little. Might have thrown me off?
    [​IMG]

Back to 7 yards. Left target was finishing off my ammo. Dunno if I was getting tired or what, but clearly not as good as earlier.
    Right target was testing the Hydra-Shoks to make sure I wasn't going to get a FTE every other shot with them like with the stupid Remingtons. 7 shots in the mag so I must have put two through the same hole here. :cool:
    [​IMG]

Finally, I came home and the cat figured out where I had gone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

it might be a difference in charge? might not be enough to actually throw the slide back to eject the shell.

3. JaimeZX

No. They're lighter than the Hydra-Shoks but still noticably more ooomph than my old handloads.

4. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

It always rains on my days off. I have to get to the range soon.

5. JaimeZX

:cool: A little advice from the guys at m1911.org and I think I may have fixed the FTE issue. I'll have to try and get to the range again later this week to test it out. :)

Edit: For the curious, I tightened my extractor a smidge.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. poonmonster

poonmonster OT Supporter

this thread makes me want to take the next flight home and hit the range, I have got to shoot in almost 2 months.

7. JaimeZX

So I went out and put another 200 rounds through today.

The Remingons are still giving me FTEs, although not as many.

My shooting may be a *smidge* better than Sunday. Hard to say. Didn't start *out* better, but I think I improved some.

Later the guys there suggested I stick around for an informal IPSC match so I could get pointers & stuff, but my holster isn't here yet and I needed one of those. :sad2:

Anyway, I'll put up a couple pics of my best targets after I clean my gun again. (Which, BTW, got so hot I burned my hand a little on the barrel. :rofl: )

8. JaimeZX

Hm. I think Upshizzle is down. :o

Anyway, here are my two best targets:
    These were same as Sunday.
    Sets of 3 shots (body, body, head.)
    12 shots @ 5 yards, 12 shots @ 10 yards, 12 shots @ 23 yards.
    I went through 4 rounds (targets) of these. I think this was target #3.
    [​IMG]

Hope I shoot like that tomorrow. :x:

Second pic:

The head shots here were all aimed @ 7 yards. The purple-highlighted spot off the head was my very last shot that I rushed. :mad:

The body shots were all "point shooting," again usually but not always sets of three shots.
    Shot 1 was the gun held about 6" in front of my solar plexus.
    Shot 2 was with my arms partially extended, gun about 18" in front of my chest.
    Shot 3 was arms fully extended but just point-aimed, not with the sights.

Although, I did empty one or two mags all just in the low, close-in position. :big grin:

[​IMG]