GUN Just got back from IDPA new shooter night.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Radicus, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

I think I did pretty good, although I did slip on the 2nd stage running back to cover. :o Caught my self with my off hand, got up and busted out a tactical reload. :bowdown: I think I was the only shooter to go -0 on every target.

There were a good mix of people too, older guys in there 80's, kids in there 20's and a woman. :ugh: She did pretty good.. But should have done better considering her husband was LE.

Highlight of the night had to be when 2 different people asked me if I was LE. :o One kid was kinda smug about it. :rolleyes:

All in all great fun and I think I'll be going back next thursday. Oh and to anyone that's never tried it... I would say it's damn good practice for a real world scenario. The first time you get up to the line your heart feels like it's going to fall out of your ass. Specially when there are 25 people standing around watching you.

2. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Not sure how I made it through without shooting myself with all my un-safe practices :mamoru:

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

pity reply

4. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Oh and XD's were out in full force. There were 5 or 6 of them easy. Almost as many Glocks too. :o

5. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Magpul video so far has helped a ton. With little shit like where to grab your shirt to draw, how you punch out etc... :bowdown: Shooting is so god damn fun.

Oh and IDPA classifies XD's as SAO so they have to run with Enhanced Service Pistols. :wtc:

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Once you get out of the internet forums and into actual competitive shooting all that fan boy bullshit goes away. XD's are well represented and I have seen many division and match win's with guy's using XD's.

As for the XD's running with the modded out 1911's... it's all about the indian at that level of shooting. But I have noticed in the past few years that there have been more new guys that turn into really good shooters winning division's left and right with XD's.

I haven't shot my XD in comp for over 2 years, and for the most part all I run are various forms of 1911's so I have no bias either way, just saying that's what I see out here anyhow. An older gentleman and a fellow MD came to my match this Sunday and spanked everyone in Production division with his Service model XD, including a Master shooter with a tricked out Gray Gun's Sig.

7. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

I don't care what anyone on the webz says about XD's... after last night I realized how awesome these guns are. With the adrenaline flowing, tunnel vision it was very easy to get rounds down range... My lightly modded trigger helps with that I'm sure.

IMO the only guns out there with better triggers are 1911's. (flamesuiton)

I dry fired an M&P the other day and while it was smooth with a crisp break, the over travel was horrible :ugh: I have to assume that anyone with an M&P mods the trigger right after they buy it.

8. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

From the instructor :bigthumb:

[​IMG]

9. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

probably why they thought you were law enforcement...

10. robot

robot New Member

Just make sure you do your XD a favor and install two things :

1. PRP or Springer Precision trigger
    2. Dawson Fiber optic front sight

after that, you'll be smoking everyone else in IDPA :)

(with practice of course)

11. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Is the Dawson FO the same height as factory? I already have the PRP spring kit and over-travel stop installed... Think I'm good with that.

12. pyite

pyite Member

i really want to shoot IDPA but the nearest place has the matches starting at 3:30 on a fucking thursday (every other thurs). it is also like 45 minutes away. I would have to take a half day at work.

13. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Worth it IMO.