SRS Just got back from Dr. Bob's house

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Colonel Panic, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

Spent the day with my sponsor, a few friends and many thousand other drunks in Akron for Founders Day.

[​IMG]

Very cool to see the places where A.A. began 71 years ago.

2. Metal

Metal Active Member

That's awesome!!! That is definitely way up there on my list of things to do...

3. Metal

Metal Active Member

What is it like inside? Was it creepy or anything? Did they have a tour guide or tell you what happened in certain rooms or anything?

4. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

5. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

If anyone ever wants to go to founders day in the future let me know. I have four extra bedrooms and live about 5 blocks away from his house. I meant to get this offer up before this years events but I was out of town. Glad you had a good time

6. Metal

Metal Active Member

:cool:

What else is involved in founders day?

7. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

http://www.akronaa.org/FoundersDay/foundersdayindex.html
    Old news but the page is still active.

From the Akron Beacon Journal:
    Plaque marks Dr. Bob's home as historic landmark
    National marker up just in time for Founders Day
    Beacon Journal staff report
    When visitors stop at Dr. Bob's house this weekend, they'll see something new -- a plaque that identifies the building as a National Historic Landmark.

The honor isn't a new one -- in fact, the building once owned by the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous received the designation in 1985.

But the plaque was put up for the first time this week.

``I didn't think it was a big deal back then,'' said Don C., chairman of the board of directors. AA members do not use last names to identify themselves.

The Founders Foundation purchased the six-room house at 855 Ardmore Ave. in 1984 and restored it as a museum to AA co-founder Dr. Robert R. Smith, who is known as Dr. Bob by his many admirers.

Earlier in the century, he turned the home into a treatment center and halfway house for alcoholics after kicking his own addiction.

Events for the annual AA weekend include:

• Summa Health System will unveil the new Sister Ignatia Heritage Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday in the Chapel at St. Thomas Hospital, 444 N. Main St., Akron. It will feature an exhibit that traces Sister Ignatia's work Dr. Bob in 1939 to create the world's first alcohol treatment facility.

• At the Gate Lodge

Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, 714 N. Portage Path, Akron, will offer free admission to the Gate Lodge, where Dr. Bob and AA co-founder Bill Wilson met.

Gate Lodge hours will be 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Visitors will be able to see a scene from the play ``Bill W. and Dr. Bob'' outside the Gate Lodge. Showings of the 20-minute play will be at 2, 3 and 4 p.m. Friday and 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 p.m. Saturday.

• Dr. Bob's house

The home on Ardmore Avenue will be open for tours from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday.

• Dr. Bob's grave

On Sunday, a motorcycle motorcade will leave the University of Akron at 7:30 a.m. and head to Mount Peace Cemetery on Aqueduct Street for a memorial service at the grave of Smith and his wife, Anne, at about 8 a.m.

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Cool stuff, keep posting Colonel Panic, thanks. More on top of your game than I am right now, thanks for keeping Recovery alive in R2R.