GUN Just got back from an awesome lecture.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aequitas, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It was entitled "Did the Second Amendment Survive Hurricane Katrina" given by Stephan Halbrook. He's the lead attorney in the lawsuit against Mayor Nagin. He's also written numerous books about the second amendment, as well as argued on more than one occassion in front of the Supreme Court.

Some of the key points that I found interesting:

The counts brought against the city of New Orleans were:
    - Violation of the 2nd amendment as incorporated by the 14th, as well as a violation of the LA state constitution.
    - Violation of due process.
    - Violation of equal protection under the law because they were confiscating regular Joe Citizen's guns, but if you could afford to hire armed guards they were allowed to keep their firearms.
    - Illegal search and seizure.

The city of New Orleans actually tried to have the case dismissed because they claimed there was no federal jurisdiction and also there was no claim under which relief can be granted because the 2nd amendment doesn't apply there.

The city of New Orleans also had no intention of returning the firearms. It wasn't until later on that they agreed to return them, but only if the person making the claim was in posession of the sales receipt. Currently the NRA is coordenating an effort to contact the rightful owners and have them returned.

He was also able to offer a lot of interesting insight into the history of the Second Amendment and some of the cases that have revolved around it.

Just thought I'd share.:wavey:

2. Aequitas

3. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Sounds pretty interesting, I may have to check out some of his books myself.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I wish I could have gone, but I had class tonight and a paper to work on.

damn it all.

5. Aequitas

Another point that he had that I really like was: He commented on how a lot of argument involving the Second Amendment revolves around levels of crime. People, such as John Lott, argue where there are more guns there is less crime, and vice versa. He said, however, that he is not really concerned with levels of crime, whether they raise or they lower, the right to own firearms is a constitutionally protected right, and therefore it shouldn't be up for debate.