Just got back from a 2100 mile sport touring trip...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AlcoLOLic, May 1, 2007.

1. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

...and it was a blast. I prepped the bike, a 2000 VFR, really well before leaving so it showed absolutely no problems on the trip. Left from GA to Asheville/Hendersonville/Chimney Rock NC, then to Cape Hatteras/Outer Banks NC, then to Myrtle Beach SC, then to Savannah GA, then back home. Lots of layover days whenever we felt like it (had my girl with me), took 10 days in all...just got back last night.

Real life has hit me with a vengeance the night I got back too, whew :coolugh:

But it was fun while it lasted.

2. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

3. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Thats a great trip. My dad and I took almost the same trip last summer. Camped out (sucked at times)

ATL to Barber MSP in Birmingham
    Barber to Deals Gap / Cherohela to Ashville
    Ashville to Nags Head (Around 500 miles, NC is wider than you think, agreed?)
    Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras, the ferries (Did you ride the ferries?)
    Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, St. Simons Island, Ameilia Island, back to ATL.

2500 miles in all. My dad has a 00' VFR. I ride an ex500 right now. It made it all the way no problems.

[​IMG]

This was taken in Savannah, the only picture I had hosted. My soft luggage for the ex was in the Starbucks so nobody would steal it.

Know anybody in GA that would be interested in Buying the ex? I'm moving up to an SV650s. That trip made me think of the ex as a workhorse. It's pretty damn stout and would keep a steady 90-95 on the interestate no problem. I think it wanted to go faster.

Sorry to jack the thread, but when I saw the similarites in our trip, i couldn't resist.

4. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Hey no problem Austin...glad to hear that you guys had a similar trip and had fun too. Right now the gf has the disposable cameras...we had a digital camera but the batteries didn't get charged and the charger got left behind so we had to default to plan B.

AGREED...NC is a LOT longer than we thought. We NEVER thought that travel day was going to end...the winds were 30-35 mph on the causeways to add to the grief and overall aggravation factor on top of being tired. We took the ferries from Hatteras to Ocracoke, and from Ocracoke to Cedar. Met lots of interesting people, and the gf had never been on any type of ferry before so she was thrilled. The road from the port on Cedar inland was rough though...for some reason the road engineers decide to chop up the aggregate and leave it loose on top of the asphalt for the traffic to drive over...it was like driving on ballbearings on top of the pavement. Scary...and it wore the paint off the leading edge of the fairing lower. I don't have a crap flap on the backside of the front fender otherwise it could have been prevented.

The ex500 would be a great commuter bike, and the sv650 is a great bike as well. The ex500 is a bike that is actively raced...you might want to advert it in some spec racer classifieds. I bet it would get snapped up quick.

I have Corbin Beetlebags BTW. We wouldn't have been able to make the trip without them, I don't think. We mailed back our cold weather gear that we no longer needed when we got to Hatteras that we used in the mountains (we went through Cherohala and the Gap on the way to Asheville), and it gave us lots more room that we badly needed. The Beetlebags are great (look nice and close to the centerline of the bike) but are limited on space. It was 90 degrees on the way back yesterday, extra layers were definitely not required :)

5. austincabot

austincabot New Member

My dad's got the full Givi set. My mom likes it when she rides with us because of the backrest thats made by the top piece of luggage.

In NC, after the interestate ended (the last 100 miles of so to Nags head), we were easily doing 100 MPH. There were no cops, no cars, no nothing. Just us and the road. I was surprised to learn that the water in the Soundw as only about 25 feet deep. They have to constantly dredge the ferry channel. Water, water all around, only 25 feet deep. :eek3:

We actually met a guy form California while on the ferries. He was from Sacramento riding a 2003 BMW K1200. He had taken a month off of work and was just riding all over the country.

I'm leaving on the 14th with my dad and potentially 30 other riders (not sure yet) for a week long trip up into NC, VA, and other places in the appalachains.

Would love to see pictures when you get them up.

Never though of selling the EX as a race bike. I wonder what they'd pay.

6. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Sounds like a great trip you have planned on the 14th...be sure and post up pics and I'll do the same. It never occurred to me to break the ton on the desolation out to Nag's Head...we were touching 90 in spots and averaged about 80, once on Hatteras Island we went 80 the whole way because we were tiring out quickly and becoming frustrated. I think the limit was 55, but now that I think of it I never saw a cop. We could have done the ton and never had any repercussions. The crosswinds were just unbelievable though...might have made for some interesting moments.

As far as what you could get for the EX...can't say as I haven't followed the market. My general response when someone asks about market value on an item that I haven't followed is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it...you may be pleasantly surprised...try eBay" :)

Be safe, have fun, report back when you can. :)

7. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Sweet!!!! I would love to do what I call an Iron Saddle ride like that, but the most I've done is 650 miles in 1 day in the mountains in BC's interior it was a blast and I wasn't tired at all, but when I got home I crashed hard hahaha.

8. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Iron butt rally would be fun too. I want to do one as soon as I get out of school. 1000 miles in a day. Oh yeah, baby.

9. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Well, now we know NOT to carry those cheap disposable cameras when we're on long distance bike rides.

Apparently the vibration screwed up the internal workings of the camera. We noticed after the first day that the flash wasn't working right, but it never occurred to us that the camera just wouldn't work after we took the first three pics. These three are the only ones that turned out. We had some GREAT pics that we took, too...we're pissed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had originally wanted to take a digital camera, but even though I had meticulously prepared for the trip for MONTHS...I forgot the charger for the digital camera the day of departure. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that jazz...

...but it was still the best vacation of my life :)

10. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

We went back to the Gap on the 9th of the month...more pics on the way from Killboy.