Just got an ibook 12"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

off the top of my head...

12"
    1.33Ghz
    512mb RAM
    40gb HD

...and all the usual stuff. Bought earlier this year in march.

So far on my christmas list is- (more like to-buy/do list)

1gb ram (crucial has them for 150, know of any cheaper?)
    Microsoft office bundle
    and depending on how strong the airport extreme is an antenna booster so I can get WiFi from anywhere. :cool:

Anything I need to know? A friend has a 17" G5 that I play with all the time so I know I like the OS X.

I'm stoked. Sorry it's not the latest and greatest in Apple design but it will work for what I need it to do so please no bashing on how it's outdated.

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Good stuff, would you mind sharing how much you payed?

And I've got office if you want it, I'd be willing to upload the .dmg file, unless you're interested in being total legal :big grin:

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I bought it from an OTer, MassMan for 525 shipped. (he took the paypal fees)

Looks brand new.

Wasn't a super amazing deal but better then the deals on ebay considering it was purchased within the past 8 months and comes with everything original.

Should be here monday.

I'm down with sticking it to the man. I already have a whole camera rig in my room turning textbooks into pdf files. :p

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Thats a pretty solid deal, on a pretty solid computer. Once you put the RAM in there it'll be like night and day.

I'll upload it sometime tonite, I'm wireless right now and the Office .dmg is on my external HD up in my room.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm pretty excited.

Anything else I should get/look into?

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Oh an optical bluetooth mouse would be grand. Anyone have suggestions?

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

No idea on the mouse, but if you'll be home a lot using it at a desk, I'd highly reccomend buying an iCurve stand (great for cooling and looks good) along with the apple bluetooh keyboard. Skip the bluetooth mighty mouse though, the right click is hard to do and there are nicer mouses out there that are cheaper.

Other than that, get used to the system and have fun! I'd reccomend download VLC (video player, plays ANYTHING), Flip4Mac (lets you play WMV files in quicktime, good for streaming videos etc), Adium (most popular IM client, iAlarm (idk if you'll need it, but lets you set up iTunes for an alarm etc).

If there are any programs you need or can't find for something (I.e. something to play xxx type of video) post in the mac shack and someone will answer, everyone here is nice.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I never liked the mighty mouse on my freinds g5. You have to press a button to have right click :ugh: I just need something that is portable and lasts a while on the batteries.

It will soley be used for travel unless I end up hating windows or something.

I already went throuh the must-have programs sticky and have noted which ones I will be getting.

I think I'm going to get some decent headphones as well as RAM and a WiFi booster.

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Sounds good, in that case I've got no idea :big grin:. I'm looking for a good bluetooth mouse also, but I don't need it to be portable so I'm looking for more of a bluetooth desktop mouse.

Sounds like you're set though, a 12inch iBook sounds great for what you'll be using it for, have fun with it :big grin:.

10. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'm almost regretting not getting a refurbed duo core but I guess I would rather risk 500 then 1000+ dollars worth of equipment.

We'll see how the 40 gig harddrive holds up. I will probably rip every DVD I come across. I can always get a 80-100gb for under 100.

I might even upgrade the drive to a superdrive type in the future if I feel the need to burn some DVDs.

11. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I have the same iBook...I think we got in on the same free iBook deal :mamoru:

12. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Meh, I'd think about how much you're going to put into it at that point. A black core duo refurb macbook would be 999.99, plus the Apple Care (like 200). It sounds like a lot more, but if you're going to be putting all that money into it down the line it'd be worth it, the RAM and HD it'd set you back atleast 250, and the Superdrive would be quite a bit to, and unless you're comfortable taking it appart you'll have to pay to have that done too (Ive heard the iBooks are fucking puzzles to take appart, put back together).

I'm sure you could make back your money selling that iBook on ebay.

13. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Thought about all that too.

I'll probably post it up on the bay and see what happens. If I make some profit then I will shell out the extra and go with a refurb'd duo core. I just need to find somebody with high ebay rating. I have like 2.

But hey, I was just overthinking.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  14. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Checking OT from the new apple.

I honestly can't believe it's this fast for being 1.33GHz with 512mb of ram.

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I know, these computers run so well considering the specs on them.

My old iBook (800MHz G3, 384MB RAM) would out perform all my friend's new PCs in speed on the internet and doing most basic tasks, even stuff like photoshop was pretty good.