Just got an external hd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morpheus647, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

It's a 500 gb hd (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10764 :bowdown:). Is there a way that I can set it up so that I can use 80 gb's of it with my powerbook and then the other 420 gb's for my windows pc.

I read that Fat32 only allows partitions of up to 32 gb, so I dont think that I can use that :dunno:

What I really am interested in doing is backing up all of my pictures/videos/music/eyc.. from my laptop, but then having all the other space available for stuff from my desktop computer.

EDIT: If there is a way that I could have all 500 gb's be accessible for both computers that would be excellent.

2. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

Yes, and that is exactly what I do with mine. I run 3 different partitions. :o just plug it in and go to disk utilities and partition it the way you want.

3. Styk

Styk Active Member

i have a 500 gig networked external and i can access with both my Mac and PC.. I had the Mac format it to FAT32 and its all there...

4. lilcheen

lilcheen New Member

you can use a program called macdrive. It lets windows read apple partitions.

I have a "trial" copy that never seems to expire. PM me.

5. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

Use parallels or vmware to mount the drive into windows then copy the stuff through that. i know all i had to do was drag it from the virtualization window to my os x desktop and it copied instantly.