just got a wireless router--few questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bugman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. bugman

bugman Demonic Gecko OT Supporter

Hey,

I just got a cable modem, and the first thing I purchased is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband 2.4 GHz router. So this leads to 2 questions

1) My dell laptop(inspiron 9100) has a built in wireless card, and will recognize the wireless router and laptop as being connected, but wont let me go online. Any ideas on why/how to fix this?

2) I set my c: on the desktop to be shared. How to I access it from the laptop?

Thanks

2. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

1 - make sure ur on the same channel as the router.

2 - through my network places

3 - secure that bitch up so no one is stealing ur megaHurtz (bandwith)

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Unless your nearest neighbor is 1/4mi+, change the default channel. Use netstumbler to see what's open. Most people leave their routers set to the default so 6 and 11 are usually jammed.

4. bugman

ok, so on the desktop, ill change the channel

how do i change these settings on the laptop though? the laptop doesnt have a linksys notebook adaper card since it has one build in

its weird, right now the laptop says its connected to the desktop, but still no internet

5. bugman

also, my network places only lets me get access to shared music, and shared pics? but nothings in them

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You don't have to change the channel on the laptop. When Windows scans for networks, it'll show you a list of available networks. It figures out the channel on its own.

7. bugman

thats the thing...windows didnt recognize it so i had to create my own network

yesterday and today combined i was on the phone with dell and linksys for over 3 hours and they still couldnt get it to work :wtc:

8. bugman

ok, it says windows is configuring my wireless network settings, i clicked the box that nakes windows do that

still nothing(cant get online), although im still connected?

EDIT: my own laptop (im the only user) says i dont have suffient access to get to the properties page of the wireless network settings? whats up with that?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  9. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Okay..you did order cable internet to go along with your modem, right? You can buy your own cable modem but the cable company has to come and install it for you (they need to specific MAC address from the modem).

If you have cable internet then buy a NEW modem you ALSO need to call the cable company and have them set it up -- different modem == different MAC address.

Assuming that you have had your cable company set you up you need to stop worrying about the laptop and the desktop, they are not the problem. To access the router you need to open up internet explorer and go to either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100 (typical defaults) -- if neither of those work look at the documentation for the router.

The default password for linksys is usually linksys -- there is no username. If/when you log into the router you want to make sure that it is getting an IP address from the internet (there should be a "connection" or "interface" or "system" tab [they are always named differently]). If you are not getting an IP address then it is a problem with your modem/cable connection.

Aside from all that.

If you plug your computer directly into the modem do you get internet? If you do not then it is your cable that is the issue, not the router.

Move things around, try different settings. Getting shared folders from one computer to the next is the least of your worries if you can't access the internet.