A&P Just got a Pentax *ist DS today

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by frinky23, Dec 15, 2004.

1. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

It was a gift from my fiancé. I've played with the Digital Rebel and didn't like it. Additionally I have some good Pentax glass already. So far, I haven't had a chance to do anything with it but I'm taking it to Mexico tomorrow morning.

Here's my first pic with it (my "gift" to her):
    [​IMG]

2. mojito

mojito New Member

the Pentax digi's never impressed me, but to each his own. Congrats and enjoy it.

3. Easton

Easton New Member

Congrates man - it's not the tool, it's hot you use it :)

Just curious though - what didn't you like about the Rebel?

For me it was just the build quality.

4. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I heard the Ist was pretty good, just marketed poorly.

5. frinky23

The build quality was a little sketchy, but given that I have been using cheap 35mm SLRs and P&S digicams, it didn't seem like a big deal. Up until I got the *ist DS in the mail, I hadn't touched one so I didn't know what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised. It feels very solid and very well made.

Anyway, my main complaint with the Rebel was the ergonomics and interface. Neither one seemed to fit me or my style. I played with the Rebel for a good 30 minutes at a Mercedes Benz event (Canon had all their cameras there for people to play with) and it never just sat right in my hand and I couldn't figure out how to fully control it when in full manual mode. Unfortunately, the Canon rep on hand didn't have the book and didn't know either, which was to me a pretty big turnoff. I really like the A95 (which I still own), but left the event with a sour taste in my mouth about the DR.

In the end, perhaps I had a bit of personal bias that I couldn't overcome. I came extremely close to buying a D70 a few months ago but just couldn't pull the trigger when I saw that it would cost well over $2000 to get the camera and replace all the Pentax lenses that I already had. Additionally, a lot of reviews on the D70 commented on the small and dark viewfinder, which scared me a bit. I'm somewhat of a purist and like to use manual focus. The *ist DS has a large and bright viewfinder and I've found it to be very easy to use in manual focus mode.

A few days ago I was at Chichen Itza in Mexico and saw people carrying around both the DR and D70. The Digital Rebel looks like a cheap toy compared to the D70 and the *ist DS and the D70 looks huge compared to the DR and *ist DS.

6. frinky23

That is the same thing that I have heard. My fiance informed me that it was hard to get the *ist DS in time because pretty much everybody sold out of them right away. This has to be unusual for Pentax.

7. frinky23

You don't have to use AA batteries - the *ist DS actually comes with a set of CRV3 lithium ion batteries. I've taken over 400 photos so far and the battery meter is still saying full.

I agree that the SD card is a plus, even though for me it meant buying a new memory card. The size advantage over Compact Flash is huge, and the prices are now pretty close to being the same as CF. I think that SD is going to be replacing CF more and more in future generations of cameras.

I didn't find that ISO200 was a problem for me, even on the brightest days down in Mexico. I really can't comment on whether it would be a problem for you, especially if you were wanting a small depth of field on a sunny Australian day. You could always try using the exposure compensation to get an effective ISO that is lower than 200. How low do the DR and D70 go?