Just Got a New Mac :: Here to Answer Questions for Any Interested Buyers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unorthadox, Aug 5, 2008.

1. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Hey Guys,

So I did it. Ok - maybe my mom and I did it. Ok - maybe she did it, and I was there to watch. But I just got a Macbook Pro yesterday and am singing from the tops of the roof!

I know its a difficult decision buying a new computer so wanted to offer up this thread for anyone with questions about the purchase process or why I decided to go with this. If you are like me then I'll understand you want to know as much info as possible!

I'm super pumped about the new computer - settled with 2gig mem, 15" 2.4ghz and it's working wickedly awesome. I already used iChat last night - that's gonna save me a ton of money off the phone bill!

Anyways, feel free to ask me any questions. And I'm excited to finally be "part" of this community :)

2. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

welcome :hug:

3. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

what made you get the macbook pro and not just the macbook ?

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i would have waited for the new ones to come out

5. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

welcome! very nice machine. did you get anything else with it?

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd:

7. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Hi Jacen!

Ricky, I wanted a desktop replacement so I chose the MBP over the MB due to various reasons surrounding that. I wanted a bigger screen, the option to have a mirror monitor, a strong computer that could handle my music and video hobby, etc. Money wasn't the biggest issue as I had money left in my school RESP after graduation. As well, my brother got one last year and I've been impressed with the performance and service he's received from it vs. my gf's macbook which didn't have that extra "oomph" i was looking for.

Pinapple, I was thinking the same thing - however, based on speculation it's just that. Noone has an idea when it is in fact coming out and if i waited for the next model i'd be waiting forever as there will always be a theoretical "next model" coming out. as well, i wanted something that was a good machine without the bugs - as mobileme has shown, even if its new and "improved" there will alwasy be fixes, etc that I would rather avoid by owning the current lineup of MBP. Plus I like the current cosmetics so that wouldn't have been an issue for me.

Hurley, I got apple care, mac office, a free printer, and ipod touch (education discount). Got some good deals on some of that actually. I plan on getting more memory later on and installing it myself, but thats if i need it - figured it was best to go with basics for now since im not a huge power user, mainly just do videos for fun.

xenon, like i said above, i just wanna go fast now!

8. hurleyint1386

Sounds like you got a nice deal. Did you get it yesterday? If so, there should be a student discount on office as well. It's usually $149, but there's 10% off for a while, so it should be around $135. I know it's only $15, but hell, why not save a few bucks.

9. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Yeah I got office and apple care for discounted prices.

Got the computer for 1889, Apple Care for 279, free printer, free ipod, Office for 179 - all had discounts due to the educator deal. Worked out pretty nice - get the rebate back for 419 bucks soon, so the whole setup will cost me about 2700 which isn't bad at all.

10. hurleyint1386

hmmm, that's weird. the computer should have been 1799, the apple care should have been 239, office should have been 135, and you'll get $399 back from rebates

11. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

I'm Canadian, does that make any difference (currency wise)?

12. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

The US prices do cost less. And currency wise, our Canadian dollar is on par with the US. However, I am not sure if you could have simply ordered all your shit off the US apple site, and saved some money..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  13. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Meh... who cares, as far as I'm concerned it was free since it came out of my RESP that I won't be using any more as I have graduated.

</thinking too hard about costs>