Just got a new DD V.boostedLexus

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by VIPRKLR, Jan 2, 2008.

1. VIPRKLR

VIPRKLR New Member

I use to own a 98 GS400, but sold that last year and kicked my ass after doing so. After owning a few other cars as my DD I did not like any as much as I did the lexus. I found the perfect one and finally pulled the trigger.

Just need to get some rims for it, and take that MP turbo off the car and it should be golden for a while!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cnred

cnred New Member

why you going to take the turbo off? Its pretty awesome that it is boosted.

3. .

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I dunno...maybe the guy's dumb enough to think the turbo adds lag and doesn't add power.

5. VIPRKLR

VIPRKLR New Member

Because the turbo that is on the car is a cheap ebay turbo, I would replace it with something actually nice...not take the turbo off completely..if I was going to do that I would not buy one with a gte swap..lol The turbo swap is the entire reason i purchased it.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

im sure you already know this but make sure after you replace the turbo to get it tuned quickly...

7. deusexaethera

Unless the turbo is so shitty that it makes the car undriveable (sloppy wastegate, really bad turbo lag, etc), just leave it on there until it dies or until you can afford a really good one PLUS the cost to get it dyno-tuned. Even if the turbo dies, it won't take anything else with it -- it will just jam in place, or start dumping oil into the exhaust, nothing catastrophic; you'll be able to limp it to the shop without fear of damage.

8. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

Yeah, he should wait and let the compressor nut that is a right hand thread work itself loose and fire through the intercooler while at full throttle and high boost potentially popping through the intercooler and allowing debris into the engine. Masterpower turbos aren't notorious for that or anything.

Maybe you should stop being such a console tuner, you've made a fair amount of comments that really dont add up.

9. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I like your sarcasm.

10. 242ti_brick

242ti_brick New Member

masterpower turbos are actually decent turbos for the money, brossef

11. dguy

Mah nga.

Not the ones I've seen.

12. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Active Member

What other cars did you own that didn't quite measure up to the GS?

13. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

i always liked these. how much has to be done for them to be boosted? is it just a bolt on kit?

14. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

i am too getting a gs.

i cant decide between the 300, 400 or 430.

i want to vip it the fuck out for sure, also cant decide if im going to want to do the gte swap later down the road. i saw some AMAZING gs's at the san diego auto show right after christmas.

15. xbishopx

the 300 has the 2jzge, same motor found in the lexus is300, a weaker version of the turbo supras 2jzgte, can be boosted for fairly cheap, wont withstand alot of pressure due to its weaker internals than the gte.

16. This dude never shuts up but we all appreciate the effort :bigthumb:

17. 242ti_brick

242ti_brick New Member

I think youre confusing masterpower with XSPower

18. deusexaethera

Just because the nut (along with the rest of the turbine/propshaft assembly) is spinning at high speed, that doesn't mean the nut is going to fly off the shaft at high speed. Since it's in the center, it has no translational momentum, only rotational momentum. Yes, the nut might get stuck in the intercooler, but it's not going to hit it at the speed of a .22 round.

19. REDandBLACKpack

but this guy has a 400...

20. xbishopx

correct.

with a 2jzgte swap which is an inline six, built for boost, out of the aristo in japan or a supra.

21. REDandBLACKpack

oh ok. thats what threw me off because I didnt see anything about it being swapped and than I saw the 2jzgte engine and it said it was a GS400 so I was like WTF?! I thought maybe he meant GS300 and had done some work to the engine. Thanks for clearing it up. Nice car

22. dguy

Honestly, just stop. Just like the front turbo on an rx7, the MasterPower turbos have a right hand thread, over time that nut works itself loose and falls off. After that the compressor wheel, which is running at hundreds of thousands of rpms, catches said nut, turns into shards of debris and shoots the nut down the intake track and possibly through the intercooler. You may be a smart guy, but I doubt you have much hands on experience with tuning a turbocharged vehicle other than minor bolt ons.

I also notice that you've yet to respond to my post in the rotary dyno thread regarding your lack of understanding regarding boost control and wastegates.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's the part that scares me.

24. xbishopx

t88 that bitch, bigger tb, i/m, bigger front mount, exhaust mani, bigger wg, dual 4 inch exhaust, triple disk, lsd if it doesnt have it and get it tuned. i want to see this bitch run 10's.

or just be reasonable.

25. VIPRKLR

VIPRKLR New Member

Oh my bad, this car is a GS300 not a 400..dont know why I put that..So yes the 2jz-GE motor was removed and the turbo version ( as found in the mk4 supras) has been swapped into it..

The other cars I had as my DD before this was a stock 98GS400, sold that and got a 01 325ci..it was gutless I thought and I liked the lexus better. Not to mention it was cheaper to fix if anything went wrong with it. I had a 99 5spd maxima before getting this lexus...they were not horrible cars but I think this one is MUCH nicer :)

I have a two other supras.. one is a drag car and the other is a street car. I probably will be selling the street car since I am picking this up. It has gone 10.8 @ 126...Maybe I should return it to stock and put the parts on the GS:noes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008