Just got a new computer and...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StuDLei, Jan 18, 2008.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

it won't run Call of Duty 4.

Okay, so first of all I am quite clueless when it comes to computers. I just bought a HP Pavillion 9730 I think is the number. Came with 3gigs of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 7150 w/ up to 1091mb of shared video memory. I was picking it out and was told I should be able to play this game. I can but it runs like shit. Even when I turn all the settings way down its still pretty choppy. The min req. are the 6600. My computer is brand new so I wouldnt assume that there should be anything slowing it down at this point.

I know that this is a really stupid question to most of you guys. But the only reason I bought a new computer was becuase my old one wouldnt play dvd's anymore and it shuts off on its own quite a bit. Im headed to Iraq in a matter of days and decided to just get a new computer. Theres not much else to do w/ free time there if you cant watch a dvd. I spent about twice as much on the new one in hopes that I could play this game in particular. Am I just fucked here or does anyone have any ideas that could help me out.

3 YEAR UPDATE :mamoru:

So I was searching for another thread in this forum that I made and I came across this. Figured i would update since it's been 3 years. Someone might get a kick out of it

Fuck, what a shitty time this all ended up being. From what I remember, my sister drove all the way from LA to 29palms california on a moments notice in order to ship my computer to HP for me. I couldn't mail it from base because it was the weekend or something. She came allllll the way down to do this for me and I was very thankful. It took like 2 months or something for me to get my computer as HP wouldn't ship it to Iraq. That sent it to my sister who sent it to me overseas. Computer was even more fucked up when I got it. You can't believe how pissed off I was. I ended up writing emails and having my dad talk to HP. In the end, they gave me a full refund which was enough for me to do business with them again. I had to pull some teeth to get the refund, but I got it. I bought a nice (pavillion dv7) computer when I got home and I generally like it and haven't had any problems.

Just wanted to say thanks for not fucking around with me when this was all going on right before I left. It was a lonnnngggg time ago but I remember how much it sucked.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The problem is that the 7150 is onboard graphics.

You could always put something better in there before you deploy.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Nothing more to say, the Doc is right.

You screwed up getting a PC without a video card. You still need one if you want to do any sort of gameing.

4. Smork

Smork Active Member

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Fuck that.
    Lets turn this thread into something positive.

Start responding with links to decent video cards that are affordable.

6. Stev

Stev Active Member

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

8. Stev

Stev Active Member

well i'd assume he would want the newer set, and most likely has vista and would want DX10 for the future.

9. Stev

Stev Active Member

and by the way, i have that ole' EVGA 7600GT he linked... u will have no problems at all playing games on it.

10. Doc Brown

11. StuDLei

so I dont have a video card? Im sorry guys because I am totally lost in the sauce. What exactly does it mean when it says up to 1091mb of shared video memory? I thought you couldnt really put new stuff into a laptop without paying a fortune. Ill check out the link, but Im only gonna be here for until sunday, dont think ill be able to get this done before I go.. its not something I can add on myself is it?

12. ady

ady New Member

HP Pavillion 9730 is a desktop. Do you have a desktop or a laptop?

13. StuDLei

Laptop. Its hp pavillion dv9730us notebook pc

14. Neuman

Neuman New Member

:-\

i think you are stuck. laptops are generally geared towards portability over sheer gaming performance.

the previously linked graphics cards are for desktop computers..

15. StuDLei

talk about bad luck. Didnt have the time to buy a new computer, but had to buy one quick. Bought the best one they had available at the base's px. Buddies who seemed to be pretty knowledgable in computers thought it would run call of duty 4 no problem. My old computer had just went down on me and I had 1 day to buy this computer. Our flight out got delayed which is why Im still here.

Anyways, the min requirements are the 6600. I have the 7150 and 3 gigs of RAM if that makes a difference. Im just wondering if Im stuck or if somehow Im not getting the most out of what I have(my computer)?

16. Doc Brown

The shared memory issue is that your computer uses some of your 3gb of memory as video memory. Realistically, that 7150 chipset is about the best onboard video going right now. The fact is though, that it's still onboard video.
    It just can't compete with a graphics card.

It is possible though, that your notebook's motherboard might have an expansion slot for a graphics card. It won't be as fast for the money as you could get for a desktop pc, but it would still be a big improvement over the motherboard graphics.

17. ady

ady New Member

Nothing you can do, except return it and try and buy something else.

6600 is better than the 7150 by the way.

The following notebook graphics cards should play it alright (at lower settings):
    ATI Radeon X1600
    ATI Radeon X1700
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7600GT
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7700GT
    ATI Radeon HD2600
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT
    ATI Radeon HD2600 XT
    Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT

The following might run it:
    ATI Radeon X1300
    ATI Radeon X1400
    ATI Radeon 2400
    ATI Radeon 2400 XT
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT

Those are in order from worst to best (roughly) and while I would certainly expect the first section to run it, the latter might not. You also may struggle to find any of them in a couple of days.

18. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

No you don't.
    You have an onboard video chipset that uses memory from your RAM for the video.

All you need to know is this.
    If you open up your computer and look at your slots you will see a slot near the top of the board that is empty. it is out of alignment with the other slots below it. This is your PCI-E slot for the video card.
    A video card is much faster the the onboard chipset that you have. One of the reasons for this (and there are many others) is that the onboard chipset doesn't have its own ram. It steals memory from your system ram for its video needs.

The video card that you puts there has its own ram that is on the card. That ram is a good deal faster then your system ram AND it is located on the card.

On top of that there are things that only video cards do right now, like DX10 instructions and such.

Open up your PC and take a look around. You won't break anything. Take a look at how the video cable plugs directly into the motherboard. If you had a video card it wouldn't be that way.

19. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

Is your shared memory cranked all the way up in the bios? Might help just a bit :dunno:

20. Doc Brown

I don't know if he wants to use the entire amount though.

Thread starter mentioned that the graphics on his notebook allows for up to 1091mb.

:eek3:

Probably better to stick with 128mb or maybe 256mb at the most.

:mamoru:

21. StuDLei

I have a whole new set of problems now. The computer wont play dvd's anymore. Which is the whole reason I bought the damn thing. So now Im out 1150 bucks o a computer that wont play dvd's. My luck is so terrible. Just fyi, the computer doesnt even detect an "E" drive or dvd-rom drive anymore. I tried to restore the pc to its original factory settings since I didnt have anything installed on it, but that didnt work. Still doesnt detect a dvd/cd-rom drive in the computer. Im trying the recovery again right now. I tried to take it back to the store today. Last day for me to do so or to do anything. They wouldnt take it back, said I had to go through HP. Which I cant really do right now with me leaving for Iraq tommorow. Its just not gonna happen. My last bet is to call HP which I will try after my computer is done going through the restoration process. I cant believe all of this terrible luck. On top of this Im trying to deal with everything that is required when one leaves to go to Iraq. sorry for the rant guys. Wish me better luck.

22. Doc Brown

Oh geez, i'm sorry to hear about the bad luck. I certainly hope it improves when you get there.

23. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Good luck man.

24. trano

trano Guest

Good luck dude. check that all the pins are straight in the dvd rom. i recommend a nvidia XXXXGT XXXX* waht ever model you can afford.

25. StuDLei

So I was searching for another thread in this forum that I made and I came across this. Figured i would update since it's been 3 years. Someone might get a kick out of it:mamoru:

Fuck, what a shitty time this all ended up being. From what I remember, my sister drove all the way from LA to 29palms california on a moments notice in order to ship my computer to HP for me. I couldn't mail it from base because it was the weekend or something. She came allllll the way down to do this for me and I was very thankful. It took like 2 months or something for me to get my computer as HP wouldn't ship it to Iraq. That sent it to my sister who sent it to me overseas. Computer was even more fucked up when I got it. You can't believe how pissed off I was. I ended up writing emails and having my dad talk to HP. In the end, they gave me a full refund which was enough for me to do business with them again. I had to pull some teeth to get the refund, but I got it. I bought a nice (pavillion dv7) computer when I got home and I generally like it and haven't had any problems.

Just wanted to say thanks for not fucking around with me when this was all going on right before I left. It was a lonnnngggg time ago but I remember how much it sucked.

:wavey: