Just got a membership to 24hr.workout suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Local12hand, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Local12hand

Local12hand New Member

I just got my first gym membership and I was wondering where to start. I was injured at work in Jan. so I will be unable to do any leg exercises till the doctor gives me the go ahead. For the record I broke my left fibula,tibula and also tore two ligaments in my knee. So with all that my right leg has be doing most of the work for a couple months now and is substantually larger than the other. I mostly want to focus on my upper body anyways. I have been lurking in here for awhile now and have used tons of the advice to get my diet in check and have lost almost 20lbs. Im sitting at about 190lbs, 6'1" and have been doing lots of selfweight exercises to lose the weight. Now I think I am ready to start tacking on real muscle. Thanks for any advice..

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

see your doctor/therapist before deciding to go all out. 2 months isnt a very long time for a full recovery from a multiple bone break and ligament damage.

personally, I'd seek out a physical therapist to see what he thinks - the atrophy from having a cast on can be pretty fucking severe.

but if he gives you the all clear...

read the noob stickies, find a variation of the Starr routine you like - a basic 3 day, full body split to start building that base up. AND TAKE IT FUCKING EASY when you start out, overtraining is a big problem for new guys. everyone wants to start doing as much volume as possible at the beginning and it aint worth it.

train smart

3. Local12hand

Local12hand New Member

Thanks for the input and yeah my doc said that I will start physio therapy on my leg after we find out that I will/won't have to have knee surgery but he ok'd stationary bikes and cardio of little to no impact. I have been taking it pretty easy and getting the feel for what my muscles are going to be ready for with the exercises that I have been doing at home vs. what the gym is going to do. I did read the noob thread and that is great but with my injury I need a more upper body based workout. And I am going to go 5 days a week so it is really going to be hard not to overtrain for awhile. But thanks again for the insite and any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.