GUN Just got a makarov not to happy with it.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

The gun works great but I got screwed on the price. After getting home I notice pits on the left side of the slide and it really bothers me. Along with saftey and slide switch needing to be replaced. I think I would be happy with it if it was refinished but that is 169.00 bucks plus waiting a month or more to get the gun back. The other option is I refinish it my self. I found a kit for 50 bucks plus another 20 for pit filler stuff but I have no idea how great it would come out if I did it myself.

I paid 324.00 for the gun..

2. BLH

BLH Member

You got screwed.

3. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

How much do you think I could get for the pistol?

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

What kind of Mak is it? Bulgarian, Polish, CZ82?

5. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

pics?

6. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

7. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Bulgarian. Finish looks pretty beat, honestly. The upside is the Bulgie maks are a bit harder to find than they used to be. For what you paid, it should be pristine, unissued, example.

Considering the condition of the finish, the pitting, and the mechanical issue with it....................I'd say probably $200-$225.

Sorry bro.

9. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

This is why I don't go to gun stores. I bought my fucking HK USP .40 with box in perfect condition for 450.00 FTF.

So my question now is what do I do with it? I am really disapointed. Do you think a Cold blue would help a ton?

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Probably not. Honestly, the gun isn't worth enough money to consider a professional refinish, IMO. If you want, get a can of Gun Kote or something similar and refinish it yourself. Should be under $40 for everything. If it comes out less than perfect, who cares, it's not like it's a collector piece.

11. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

e

Gun Kote wont fill the pits. Anyways doesn't that stuff take skill to use?Huow much do you think Gun Kote would help?

12. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

fuck this shitty computer messed up keybored..

13. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I wouldn't even bother filling the pits. It doesn't take any skill, it's more or less spray paint for guns. Some require you cure them in an oven, some don't. If you don't want to bake the parts in your home oven, just get a kit that needs to air dry.

A full resto job on that gun isn't worth the effort, or money, it would take you to do it. If you are that unhappy with it, and unable to live with it, then just sell the gun off at a loss and consider it a lesson learned.

14. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know why you blame the gun store though, you know what you were buying. As a general rule I wouldn't buy a gun with rust pits and broken parts.

I'd strip it down and use brownells alumahyde 2 on it. Its a little thicker than most other spray on coatings and should help hide some of the pitting. Replace the damaged/broken parts and put it back together and just shoot it. I wouldn't turn it into a money pit.

16. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

No honestly I did not know what I was getting. I went there with a friend who had a makarov and said he knew a ton about the guns. He told me the gun could look like new for 30 bucks and that finding a makarov these days would be impossible. I expected him to tell me if I was paying 124.00 bucks too much.

Up to this point I have bought all my guns online from other members and have been very happy with price and quailty of the guns I have go from you guys vs getting screwed by gun shops around here as they usually are 100-200 to fucking high.

17. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I don't mean to be a prick, but never take anyone elses opinion. It's your money, and always research before you buy. He's right that Bulgie maks are harder to find, but it's not impossible, and the gun you got isn't worth anywhere near $324.

18. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you wanted something in 9x18mak, you could have gotten a CZ82 for a lot cheaper. Pic is below, JG Sales has them for $179. I have one that I got about a year ago, I paid $209 but it came with 2 mags, and the finish was perfect.

[​IMG]

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

So then why did you just turn around and not buy it? Either way, I second Soybomb's idea of using Alumahyde 2, that stuff works pretty well, and no sense in spending any more money on the gun.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

That doesn't sound like the gun shop is to blame to me. They didn't scam you or misrepresent the gun. Ultimately researching price is your responsibility just like it is for online purchases. If I put my rusty junker car in the driveway with a forsale sign for $8k and you buy it, I don't think you can blame me if you go home and look it up and see its book value was $500. You can find some good deals on line but you can find good deals in stores too. Sometimes being able to examine a gun in person and see the rust or bore/crown damage is worth paying a few bucks more for too especially with older surplus guns. Be an informed consumer and don't underestimate the value that can be had in getting to handle a gun before you pay for it.

Anyway all that aside sinking more money into it won't make it better. Spray it with some alumahyde and enjoy shooting it. We all pay too much for stuff and regret it later a few times in life, spending more won't make you feel better.

21. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I dunno I guess I just reconfirmed why me and others hate gun hops. Really there is just no reason to buy local :hs:

All gun shops within 75 miles are usually about 100-200 higher. I was just trying to support a local and not be like fuck you I can get this online...

22. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

Good call on the Aluma-Hyde II. What chemical should I use to strip the old blue off?

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You probbaly don't need to strip it off, I'd just degrease with brake cleaner then hot water and soap. Maybe rough up the surface before you degrease with some finer grit sandpaper to give something extra for the Alumahyde something to hang onto.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Maybe it's the glock guy in me but a makarov is a tool. Treat it as such. When I think makarov I picture a gun that I just toss into my tool chest as my tool chest gun.

I wouldn't bother refinishing it. I'd leave it beat so when it gets more beat because i use it as a tool I'm not going to cry.

On my self defense guns or my competition guns I could care less about finish. I just need enough of something so it doesn't rust. That way if I have to use the gun as a club, toss it onto a table as I'm running by at a 3 gun match, or fling it across the pavement to arm a friend in a gunfight I am not going to think twice.

I understand some people have safe queens that are too pretty to shoot, or real pretty guns that they just post pictures of on the net. Shoot your guns, treat them like tools and back off with all this sissyfied hono "oh my gun has scratches" nonsense.

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There is learning to be done here. :big grin:

Would you buy a used car from the 1970s without seeing it in person first? :)

Anyway like keesh said, no reason to strip the blue, just rough it up a little, maybe 400 grit sandpaper used lightly. Google to verify my guess. hang up to dry for a couple weeks.