Just got a call to do a boat

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Creator, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

A guy just called and asked me to detail his boat. I need to call him back today (he left a Voice mail) but im not sure what to say. What should i charge? I dont even know what kind it is or anything. If its still inthe water all i can do is the inetior, right? If its out and I can wax it, can I just use my clay bar, Meguires polish and s100? Can i use armorall all over the inside? What else should I get before doing it?

2. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

Dude I wouldnt even know where to start. the first question I would ask is how big of a boat. Sail boat or motor boat. Sail boats will be twice as much work for the size. a 30 foot sail boat is pretty big. motor boats dont have as much surface area.
    YOu are probably going to be washing and waxing the fiberglass hull. Polishing the chrome parts, which there will be alot of if it's a decent boat. The glass on the boat will be either lexan or plexiglass. not sure what you use to clean that. probably just soap and water.
    bring a degreaser for the engine area. those places get dirty.
    Thats about all I can tell ya.

3. Creator

So what do i need to wash/wax fiberglass? What should I use on the chrome?

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:werd: I've never done a boat... I wonder if Scott has. :confused:

5. WickedLou9

I know you can buy chrome polish at the auto parts store. I think you can use S100 on the fiberglass. it says so on the can of P21s.

6. Creator

whats a good crhome polish? And how much should i charge the guy? 10/foot?

7. WickedLou9

no idea. seriously. I'd charge him by the hour. the selection of chrome polish isnt very large at the auto parts store. I'm sure they all work pretty well.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yeah, I've done boats and I don't particularly like to do them, especially if the gel coat has oxidized. I charge by the foot-usually $7.50 per foot for a full detail on a speed boat style and one with an enclosed cabin is by estimate only-but probably $12-15 per foot.

You might want to find a local Meguiars distributer because they do have specific cleaners and polishes for gel coats. You can use regular polishes and waxes, but you will get better results with the Meguiars boat/rv line, especially if the gel coat is fading.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Im not sure id want to do a boat. :hs:

10. NEW996

NEW996 New Member

There are nautical products on the market you can use. One thing to be aware of... is it a fresh water or salt water boat? Some of the car stuff isn't going to hold up at all in salt water.

You can try Liquid Glass Nautical http://www.liquidglass.com/nlgpolsh.htm
    [​IMG]
    Nautical Liquid Glass is non-abrasive and can be used on any fiberglass, metal, or wood boat without fear of scratching or hazing. It will not harm or remove gel or clear coat. In fact, there is no need to paint your boat's hull if it is protected by Nautical Liquid Glass! It retards barnacles, algae, and salt water erosion while reducing friction. Try it on your boat hull, as well as any other non-porous surface you wish to protect, e.g. chrome, brass, stainless steel, etc. of props, rudders, and motors.

Easy to use, looks good. I use it on my family's boat every season.

11. Scottwax

Collinite also makes boat specific products and their carnubas are legendary for durability.

12. dboat

dboat Guest

Yo Yo Scott

do you wanta come do my boat when I get it out of the water? got some stuff on the bow that I cant figure out.. let me know
    Dana

13. Scottwax

Eh....maybe! I'd have to see it to know for sure. I just really dislike cleaning boat interiors, the vinyl is always so grimey...although I know you take pretty good care of your cars and Lightning!

14. dboat

dboat Guest

just wiped down the vinyl with boat wipes from Megs... and I just vacuumed the darned thing out.. its only 18 foot runabout.. it just has some stuff on it that I cant figure out..

15. Scottwax

You know how to get hold of me. Maybe when I detail your wife's SUV, if the boat is at your house, I'll take a look.