SRS just got a call that my dad is dying.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dew, Aug 10, 2006.

1. dew

dew Banned

so my parents divorced when i was like 10 and my dad and i have had a good relationship till i was about 15-16 and then we started not seeing each other and i havent seen or talk to him in 2 years now. Im 18 now, my mom calls me and tells me hes been in the hospital for a month and is on life support and they dont think hell make it.. so my mom, my sister and i are going to see him and i dont know what to say to him or how to act.. how do i deal with all of this:wtc:

2. pixing

pixing New Member

that's sad, even if you haven't been close

You should sit by the side of the bed and tell about some good memories that you have, the minutiae isn't important.

If he's on life support, he's not going to be talking, probably he won't even be awake.

3. dew

dew Banned

so i found out he had a heart attack and they had to remove some of his small intestants or something and they put him on life support. Now they are telling my grandma (which i didnt know was still alive) to decide to pull the plug or not..

4. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

That's the best idea. Might want to hurry up seems like it's getting to late. If it is too late, don't go hard on yourself. Sounds like it was kept away from you for a month. Not your fault by any means. :hug:

5. dew

dew Banned

so it turns out it was my grandpa that was dying and not my dad..

6. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

Holy miscommunication :eek3:

7. Sandwich

Sandwich OT Supporter

take this time to get to know your dad again and spend as much time as you can. think of it as a 2nd chance.

8. dew

dew Banned

am i:bowdown:

9. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

seriously- take this chance to get close to him again... you have no idea how lucky you are...

bf went through a very similar situation last year... he was estranged from his mom for 8 years. he decided one day to start patching things up with her, 2 weeks later she was diagnosed with end stage brain cancer. she had over 30 tumors and less than 6 weeks to live. she was in colorado and he was in maryland- he saw her once before she died. he considers himself very lucky that he had the chance to talk to her before she passed away, but it's really hard for him to know he missed out on 8 years of a relationship with her.

You've been blessed- take this oppritunity.

10. huskerfoos

huskerfoos New Member

I agree. I wish I had the opportunity to reunite with my dad. I haven't seen him since I was in 3rd grade, I am 31 now. And that time i saw him was for a weekend, since he had been gone for several years.

Regardless of what happens between me and my wife now, I never want to be out my my 2 boys lives.

JJ

11. XPX

XPX New Member

nice :cool:

I have a shitty relationship with my mom and I always wonder when we are goin gto make it better...I'm glad you are doing it. :cool: