Just got a black STi... need some tips

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jumpem, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

How do I wash so as not to get a ton of swirl marks on it? I washed my blue Miata by hand all the time and never had problems. Is black going to be different?

I use a large yellow foam sponge when I wash. Is that ok, or is there something better?

I need a wax recommendation too. :x:

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Well have protection (sealer/wax) on your car that would help some from getting those fine scratches. Get some good car soap that has a good lubrication to it. Use a lamb’s wool sheep mitt. Use two bucket method. Wash horizontal on the sides and vertical on the rest. Rinse with the hose at an angle real good before you wash. Don’t press real hard while you wash, I know that every time my gf washes her car she thinks that the harder she pushing the mitt she thinks the shiner it will get.

3. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Thanks. :)

Two bucket method? Why does washing horizontal or vertical matter?

4. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

two bucket method. One bucket with soap and water, one bucket with just water.

1. get wash mit wet/soapy in bucket 1
    2. wash small section
    3. rinse off mit in bucket 2
    4. repeat

5. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I see. What wash mits are good that I can find locally? I need to wash my car in the next day or two and don't want to wait for shipping.

Why do people keep specifically mentioning using mitts? What is wrong with a sponge? The last mitt I tried left white fibers on my car.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

First off i DO NOT recemend a wool mit for washing. Over time wool mits can get matted, knotted, and eventually become VERY abrasive. IMHO you would be MUCH better off with a MicroFiber wash mit that has NO CHANCE of being abrasive, and will wash clean for years of use.

The reason for wash mits is that they can typically be fully cleaned, have a hose stuck in them and rinced out, be thrown in with a load of MicroFiber towels (provided its a MF wash mit). Where as a sponge just wears out. I used to be a HUDGE believer in the sponge. But i have since switched to an MF sponge with an MF wash mit for my main washing duties, becuase they are so much better at lifting, grabbing, and controling the dirt on the cars surface without scratching or maring. Plus with a mit, you can get into places where you cant get a spong. Like under the air deflector on a sun roof, or underneath a shallow spoiler, through a door handle, around a grill opening, into a fog light housing, etc. There are plenty of benefits to a mit over a sponge.

As for where to get a mit...try Target. They have a new line of products called "Vroom" and they make a very plush MF wash mit. And its only $4.95, which is a bargain. They also have nice MF drying towels (in the plastic tube), and plush MF drying towels for spot drying. Really check them out, you can find some good stuff.

As for products to use on your paint. Check the product recemendtation threads at the top of the forum. THey can point you int eh right direction.

Best of luck with the new car...:fawk:....i mean....:bigok:

:rofl:

7. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

:fawk:

Thanks for the tips. :coold:

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You've had different experiences with MF wash mitts then... The one I used picked up shit and it wouldn't come out even after running through the wash machine. I ditched it quick. Believe I got it from TOL or Classic Car Care (or whatever that one webpage is)

9. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I use a wool sponge, I'm not worried about tossing it. Clean everything off then find a paint cleaner, a polish and then a wax, I use the first to steps of meguairs (sp) you can find those at advanced auto along with soft towels to apply and micro fiber towels to remove. For the wax S100 paste wax you can find it at any harley davidson shop.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Depends on the type of microfiber.

Some of the really plush stuff does pick up alot of the medium sized debris, and wont let go of them.

I try to use somewhere between a typical low knap MF and a plush knap MF on my wash mit and wash sponge.

I find that 99% of contaminant debris can be dispatched with a spray from my hose on a high pressure jet setting.

I usually only wash the mit int he washmachine if it get alot of really bad oily debris, or lots of non dirt contaminant. Really, if the car wash shampoo is good enough for the car to clean it from debris, why wouldent it be good enough to keep your wash mit clean?

As typical with anything in this business/hobby/obsesion milage will vary depending on user.

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I like chenille pads and I don't keep them long. Once they lose their plushness, I toss them.