just got a 15" Powerbook v.helpme

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tefnut, Oct 21, 2004.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

First, while the buttons look the same as Windows (_ [] X), the X just hides an application, not closing it :wtf: How do I close something with just a simple click?

Secondly, I heard iTunes is the greatest thing since whatever. I just seems a little meh-ish so far :hs: I mean, I put my MP3s in the iTunes folder, but it won't detect them unless I play each one. What's a way to scan for all of them? Also, how do I get it to organize the stuff into albums, etc? Right now the MP3s are poorly labeled (the ID3 tags or whatever), can it automatically download the proper information off the net somehow?

What do I need to know about it? It's the first Apple I've ever really used/owned.

2. tefnut

tefnut build

It's so purdy though, actual laptop and OSX as well :eek3:

3. gutterslide

gutterslide Guest

you can't close with a simple click. you can use cmd-Q.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: When you click close, it just closes that window but the program keeps running. Seems odd at first, but once you get used to it it's really nice.

I have no idea about iTunes, sorry, I've never used it :dunno:

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

itunes: on windows, its under file if i recall correctly, import songs, or add to playlist, add file, add folder, something like that. havent used it on osx, sorry

6. tefnut

tefnut build

Thanks, both about importing to iTunes and about the cmd-Q. Another question about iTunes, does it come with some options to sort my music better? A lot of the MP3 files are poorly documented, can it somehow search an internet database and associate the file with an album, artist and artwork? 'Cause that would be really cool :)

7. Penguin Man

As far as I know there's no way to identify an MP3 with nothing but its contents. Might be time to just bite the bullet and name/tag them all correctly. Once you've got all your current music tagged/named, you generally get in the habit of properly tagging and naming new music.

8. tefnut

tefnut build

Well, they're all like, say:

Cream - Strange Brew.mp3
    Cream - I Feel Free.mp3

That's me renaming the actual file when I get it. But I don't go through and rename and properly sort the ID3 tag, telling it there too that the artist is Cream, the track title is Strange Brew, the album is whatever... I'm hoping something can look at the file name and come up with the ID3 information by itself. Also, iTunes / OSX seems to look at the ID3 when displaying the MP3 file info, even in the Finder (which I guess is the browser or explorer) instead of the actual file name.

9. tefnut

tefnut build

Oh, and Expose doesn't really work for some reason / I'm not doing it right. I can get F11 to alternate between Desktop/windows, but I can't really get all the windows fit on the screen with F9.

10. Penguin Man

Ah, OK, if they're all named properly then I believe there's a program that will go through and tag them all based on the name.

11. tefnut

tefnut build

There's an option in iTunes, Advanced > Get CD Track Names, but it just says can't connect to CDDB or something...

[​IMG]

12. tefnut

tefnut build

13. Penguin Man

Yep, that only works for CDs, since they're listed in an online database (CDDB).