SRS Just found out who my real friends are...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I thought I was becoming really close to my college friends, but today they all let me down. I have given them so much, from fixing their internet, building them computers, lending money, driving them 400+ miles for free, hooking them up with girls, giving them answers to homework/labs/tests, buying them booze, covering for them, etc... pretty much you name it, I have done it for them, and even gone out of my way to do it.

I normally have a car, but its winter and I drive a classic real wheel drive, so I garage it at home which is 8 hours away. Anyways I called and text who I thought were my close college friends for a ride to the mall so that I could buy my GF a gift. I knew exactly what I wanted to get her, so I would spend max 30mins at the mall. Every single one of them said "no" or never returned my phone call. The funny part is, two of them said if they did not go hiking they would drive me. Well they are not going hiking, but they are too "tired" to drive me to the mall.

To me it is pretty fucking sad that none of my "friends" can take 30minutes out of their "busy" lives to just give me a ride, especially after all I have done for them. This is the first time I am asking them for favor in 3 years. The other sad part is my GF is also good friends with all of them, so indirectly they are impacting her.

This would never happen with my old High School friends, if you ask for a big favor they will go out of their way to help you, and that is how I am as a friend. All you have to do is ask me something and I will do it if I have the resources.

So I guess this is one way of finding out who your friends really are...

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

welcome to the world of shady college friends :)

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I know i never want to be one of them. Don't let it get you down, keep being a good guy, life is pretty much a struggle to get away from negativity. These and most people are just downright selfish, you get to see an ugly side of humanity that you consiously must choose not to be. But you will have to live with it that some ,actually quite a lot but 'thankfully not all' people are like that.

Keep doing those nice things, don't expect however anything from others. I know that feeling makes you feel down very much, but you must not submit to it and become like them. You need to be above this level and you can do that by keep being kind to others.

But remember we are always here for you to help you. :wavey:

4. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

perhaps you should buy a beater.

5. mandrew

mandrew New Member

that's why if you are going to do nice things for people you should expect that they will not be paid back. look at your good treatment of friends as a testament to your good character, however if you're not okay with doing those things and not receiving favors in return (most people including myself wouldn't be), then this is simply a costly lesson that you should not go out of your way to be nice to people when you aren't sure they'll return that kindness.

6. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Taxi service sounds more reliable.

7. Drifter87

Thanks Darketernal. I still do favors for people regardless, I just wish once in awhile I could get some help when I need it. Guess it means I have to keep looking for good friends?

I almost did, but the car needed some work and their was too much rust. I graduate in 14 weeks, and in April I am bringing my classic car back to school. So no point in buying one now...

I normally never expect something in return, just down the road if I need a little help, it would be nice (ie a lift to the airport). but it is just amazing how selfish people are. They will not lift a finger unless it means they will receive something in return.

:werd: The other funny part is, who ever drove me, I would have topped their gas tank off as a thank you.

8. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

You are just mad you didnt get her a v-day gift. Dont blame them for it.

9. AzGuy79

AzGuy79 OT Supporter

awesome insightful input. stfu dipshit

10. Drifter87

I still did and she loved it, just made things a lot harder and had spend a lot more money.

They won't even drop me off at the airport in 2 weeks. Yes it means waking up at 6am, but I have picked most of them up from the airport and they cannot return me the favor.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I hate to sound this cynical, but I once read on CollegeHumor.com: "Look at your circle of friends and hope you can spot the loser."

Sounds like they were using you because you were easy.

12. Drifter87

And then people wonder why the world is falling apart...

I think it is the type of people... at college all my friends are Engineers, Computer Majors, or college drop outs and rarely ever go out.

My friends from back home, who have driven 4 hours one way to pick me up in the middle of no where when my car broke down are Doctors, Business Majors, or are in the army and are always up for a good time.

I have no idea why I have vastly different friends, but I do know my friends from back home will always be there, and college will just be another thing to talk about on a date when a girl asks me where I went to school.